Hi, my name is Jeanetta! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Jeanetta!

Options
Jeanetta
Jeanetta Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi my name is Jeanetta I live in a small place outside of Keith in Scotland I have had a triple bypass and four strokes that have affected my left side I get extremely tired and can't do the things I'd like to do 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jeanetta - Welcome to the community. Thank you for joining & saying a bit about yourself. There are some here who've had strokes whom I expect you'll meet. Quite a lot of us, due to different disorders, can relate to the tiredness/exhaustion, & inability to do things we once could do!
    Anyway, it's good to 'meet' you, & I hope you enjoy having a look around & joining in. You could use either the 'All groups' or 'Recent discussions' links on the right-hand side of this page.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jeanetta

Welcome to our online community/family.

I am one of a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes I have also had a Stroke in1998 which took out my left side.

I have also had further Stroke Symptoms but this time on my right side.

Yes everything has changed big time but I have made reasonable changes to cope.

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help/support you with???

@steve51
  • Jeanetta
    Options
    Hi @Steve51 I would really like to know what you did to change things to help as I'm now at a loss as what else I can do 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jeanetta

No Probs.

As a former manager in my “old life”  

I took a step back & reevaluated everything from as soon as I get up until I go to bed.

Taking regular breaks is a very very big one.

I do hope that this makes a difference ??

@steve51
  • Jeanetta
    Options
    Thank you Steve I was a Sheltered Housing Manager and really enjoyed my job but unfortunately had to take early retirement as I could no longer cope with the work load I have no option but to have loads of rests on a daily basis but can't get my head around not being able to keep my home the way I used to friends tell me the house will still be here when I'm gone and to forget about it but easier said than done lol
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hi again @Jeanetta - I certainly agree with Steve in that 'pacing' yourself is very important. Altho' I knew about this, I tried to do everything, then could do nothing for a couple of days. Your mind tells you one thing; you need to do xyz each day, but physically coping is a different story. Sorry to say it took me rather a long time to properly take 'pacing' on board; when I did, things became somewhat easier. Small achievements each day, or most days, are nonetheless achievements, & are easier achieved if you take those needed breaks, listening to your body.
    Now, mentioning the following 'just in case.' If you're still struggling, you might consider getting some outside help. You can apply for a needs assessment for any sort of help, including cleaning in your home, that you might need by entering your postcode here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-needs-assessment-social-services
    I don't know if you claim any benefits due to your disabilities, which might also be helpful.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Jeanetta and a warm welcome to the community. Are you finding your way around alright? :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.