Need to downsize desperately — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need to downsize desperately

dazz69
dazz69 Community member Posts: 20 Listener
Has anyone had dealings with clarion housing as we have just applied as desperate to downsize due to my partner having a stroke an not being able to afford our 3bed now with bedroom tax our current landlord unable to help an local council say not a priority because we in a property but struggling an getting into debt an partner does
not need stress an worry since her stroke any advice gratefully received ?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,353 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Have you thought about a house swap with another person? Sometimes there's people that desperately need a larger property and are unable to get one so swapping is something maybe you can look into. Is it just the 2 of you living in the house?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @dazz69. What size property are you hoping to move into? Most councils are usually desperate for people to downsize. Hopefully Clarion will be able to help you. 

In the meantime, to help with the costs of the bedroom tax have you looked into applying for a Discretionary Housing Payment? I've linked to some more information below:
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/discretionary_housing_payments_dhp
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dazz69, how are you getting on? :)
    Scope

• Sue52
    Sue52 Community member Posts: 78 Courageous
    Hi @dazz69
    I am also with Clarion and my daughter will be moving out within the next couple of weeks. I have a two bed flat (obviously i am not saying I could exchange lol). I do however, understand where you are coming from. I know they will charge me bedroom tax and am looking into it. 
    The advice you have been given is great and I shall also be following it. 
    I wish you all the best and I hope things get sorted for you and your wife very soon 
    Take Care 
    Sue 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.