How to get out and about in wheelchair? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to get out and about in wheelchair?

Rifi7
Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
I’m soon to become fully wheelchair bound and underside what to do for the best.  I have a Travelscoot which is lightweight mobility scooter that can be folded up and put into a car and is easy to put in cars.  It’s three wheeler and has become a bit uncomfortable to sit on and because it is a three wheeler can become unsteady should I hit an even surface.  I was thinking what are my options as I can transfer from chair to chair at the moment and even if I was fully wheelchair bound I could still use my arms to transfer so I was thinking would I be better off with a adapted vehicle I can use myself or still get adapted vehicle that holds a wheelchair that friends and family can drive?  Just wondered what other people do as this is all new to me and I’m confused?

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rifi7, have you ever seen wheelchair services? They could help to get you some suitable equipment.

You also might find this discussion helpful: Powerchair - what do you drive and why?

Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• Rifi7
    Hi Chloe
    Yes I have been see by Wheelchair services. They have given me a super electric wheelchair but the problem I have is my flat has not be adapted to accommodate the wheelchair. The doorway to the bathroom bedroom and kitchen need to be widened and the is no ramp at the rear or front of the property. I have been waiting for well over a year to get the works done. It’s very frustrating but there’s nothing I can do. I’m now seriously thinking of moving near my sister in West Sussex as there are more properties that are disabled accessible and even streets and roads are more accessible for wheelchair users. It’s going to be difficult to make the move as in order to get any help but I think I need to try and make the move as I feel I will get more indecency.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Rifi7, this sounds very annoying! Have you applied to have these adaptions done? I was just wondering if you could chase this up at all?
    Scope

• Rifi7
    Yes I have had the assessment, I have numerous builders, surveyors, kitchen fitters, ramp engineers. The OT has changed her mind and there has been major issues where to put the ramp as all exit points from the flat are narrow. The landlord has agreed the works and signed the relevant paperwork.  At the beginning of December they sent me the plans. I signed the plans. Then they told me that the adaptions had gone over budget so now they have to take off some of the adaptions or I would have to pay the difference, which will go into thousands of pounds. It’s just one delay after another delay.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Rifi7, they really have messed you around! I really hope you don't have anymore delays and please do let us know how you get on.
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
  • Rifi7
    April208 you have just sent a link that I wrote. I don’t understand why you have sent it?
  • Rifi7
    Sorry April208mom. Just clicked on the link. Thank you. The problem I have is I don’t have the adaptions done in my flat and I’m unable to move around my own home. I have used wheelchairs in shopping centres and supermarket. I do have my own electric wheelchair but can’t get the wheelchair outside the property as there is no ramp at the rear, neither is there a ramp at the front. 
  • Rifi7
    Thank thank you Chloe_Scope. Yes they have. I can’t see anything happening any day soon so think I’m ready to move from my flat and move to a different area. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I wish you the very best of luck with that @Rifi7! Please do keep us updated! 
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.