If I claim ESA income based do I have to renew my PIP again — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If I claim ESA income based do I have to renew my PIP again

Options
lynnwakey89
lynnwakey89 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone can anyone help I am 58 and been claiming PIP for years ? It was due to be reassessed every 3 years which should be 2020 But I am now unable to work after 13 with m employer as I have been sick since October 18. They stopped my sick pay and I now claim ESA income based.. 
Will. Have to be reassessed again as in 2017 they took my Mobility car off me and I had to go to Appeal whichI won but it took 51 weeks to go to Appeal date. I’m getting stressed about having to go through all that again x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

ESA and PIP are 2 completely different benefits, with different criteria, so yes you will need to be re-assessed.

For your PIP you will need to look at your award letter to see what date it ends. As your PIP was awarded by the Tribunal then DWP will contact you about 14 weeks before the award is due to end and you'll be sent more forms to fill in for the process to start all over again. If a decision hasn't been made by the end date of your PIP award then it will stop. If you're awarded again you will receive backdated money from the date it ended.

For the ESA they can re-assess you anytime from 3 months.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lynnwakey89
    Options
    Thank you
    ESA I’m in some kind of support group now ? But not even sure what that means? 

PIP 

When I was Assessed last time they took my car away I’m house bound without it ? I don’t have money to buy another one? Also I had to change my car from normal drive to Automatic due to my health deteriorating? 

Dont think i  can go through all stress of that again  xx
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome,

Support Group for ESA means you don't have to attend any appointments at your local job centre but they can re-assess you anytime from 3 months. Being in this group doesn't mean you won't be re-assessed for your PIP award, unfortunately. Check your award end date for the PIP and they will contact you about 14 weeks before that ends.

Re-assessments are stressful, i agree but everyone has to go through them. It maybe worth starting to gather some evidence a couple of months before they contact you, this way you'll have everything ready for when those forms arrive.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lynnwakey89
    Options
    Thanks Poppy 

My PIP award ends on 31/3/2021 thank you for replying to me. I’ve never been on benefits before, my health isn’t getting any better. Council have moved me into a new property as I was in a 3 bedroomed house and when I went on benefits they took £15.65 out of my £73.10 week benefits.. I have mobility issues and was living downstairs as I couldn’t get upstairs to bed for 5 months..

i financially better off since I was out in support group, but it was a bad few months I was really depressed and suicidial. It was my sons and daughter who keep me going by giving me money and buying me food.. 

Never been on benefits and hate it, I’ve worked all my life even when I had my kids for 42 years. 

Thanks for support I appreciate it, it had when you don’t no where to turn for help x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome,

For your PIP you have just under a year before they contact you, so for now try and relax. I always find that worrying about things so far in advance isn't going to help. I know it's difficult not to stress and worrying but it isn't going to change the situation with your reviews and will only make you worse.

Claiming PIP and ESA myself, the only way i deal with those future reviews is not to think about them until much nearer the time.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.