Education and learning
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Echp assesment refusal

staccastacca Member Posts: 12 Listener
edited February 2020 in Education and learning
Hi My son is 10 and diagnosed last year with autism. He was failed time and time again by his last school which delayed his diagnosis. He has been in his new school for 18 months and they have been amazing with supporting us getting him support. However, he has low self esteem, he is aggressive, has violent outbursts/meltdowns, cant concentrate or refuses to do his work, he distracts other pupils in his class, self harms, he is a flight risk, struggles with changes, has high sensory needs, doesnt respect or understand boundaries, struggles with groups ie pe/sports/games etc and the list goes on. We applied for an ehcp for him as he is at real risk of being permanently excluded... parents are complaining that their kids are scared of my son/dont want them near him and threatening to remove them from the school, teachers are struggling to contain him, he has put a skipping rope around his neck, tried scratching his wrists with a badge and scissors, headbutts things, strangles or bites himself. The echp assessment has been refused on the grounds that he is above average in maths and reading?! He is below expected in everything else but apparently a higher tariff needs funding is all he can have (he has this already). I have contacted the mediators and sendiass and am waiting for callbacks. Does anyone think I could win the appeal? Any advice? I'm desperate to get him the support. The school have literally exhausted every Avenue for him with little to no effect. Thanks x

Replies

Sign in or join us to comment.