SDP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


I received a Letter from the ESA saying I mey be entitled to sdp. I filled in and sent the letter back.
Last week I received the exact identical letter and again completed and posted it.
Next day I recieved another letter saying my esa will paid into my bank account. It's being paid into the account for the past 7/8 years so I'm a little confused.
Thanks for any feed back


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,422 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

    A lot of the time ESA letters are very confusing and not many people can understand them. On the letter did it have a breakdown of what you're entitled to?

    For the SDP you must be claiming either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. No one must be claiming carers allowance of the carers element of Universal credit for looking after you. You must also live alone (no other adults over the age of 18 living with you) unless they claim a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. Does this apply to you? If it does then claiming SDP by post can take about 4-6 weeks. Claiming by phone is always quicker and can take less than a week for them to make a decision doing it this way.
  • issy1965
    issy1965 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi thanks for replying.
    I didn't make a claim for sdp,I knew nothing of it.
    I was informed by ESA I may be entitled to it by Letter.
    The Letter asked for information about my circumstances.

    I live alone and no one claims carers for me and I am on the standard rate of pip.

    The Letter about my benefits being paid had no breakdown.
    It just informed me the my benefits would be paid into that account.

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,422 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem. I realise they contacted you regarding it, i was just advising that the quickest way to claim this is by phone. I'm afraid you'll need to ring DWP and ask what the letter is about because we can't tell you that. As you applied for SDP by paper form then they will write to you once a decisions been made.
  • issy1965
    issy1965 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you poppy, I'll ring Monday and update you .
  • issy1965
    issy1965 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi poppy 
    My son just rang up for me and they had still not received the form back so we had to do it on the phone.
    Do you know how long I'll wait now for a decision and payment.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,422 Disability Gamechanger
    Usually no longer than a week.
  • issy1965
    issy1965 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    ESA called me back and told me they was looking at my claim now.
    Then 3 hours later called again to tell me I was awarded SDP and being backdated to 2014. .£18,000 which should be in my account within 3 working days... 
    I'm ecstatic is an understatement.

    Thank you for your advice,it really was spot on and amazing.
    Thank you
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulations @issy1965! Great news!!

  • woodbine
    woodbine Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,773 Disability Gamechanger
    Wow issy thats great news !!
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,577 Scope online community team
    Brilliant news @issy1965!
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.