Home adaptations — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Home adaptations

nettynoozles
nettynoozles Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Does anyone know if you can get adaptations done to your home if you’re registered disabled and not coping as it is . I have no downstairs toilet and struggle to get upstairs in time so I’ve got a camping toilet which my hubby has to empty- so embarrassing!! I can’t really afford anything myself as I can no longer work 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome.

Start by referring yourself for a needs assessment from your local council social services. An Occupational Therapist will come to your home an assess your needs. Waiting times for this depend on backlog in your area. This link will allow you to refer yourself. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome @nettynoozles!

Have you contacted the disability living foundation or not?
    I am quite sure that they can help you. To obtain building permission, you would need to phone the local council on Monday to start the process. The local council have a useful service where a occupational therapist comes out to your property to do a free assessment and then makes recommendations based on their findings. 
    During the assessment, you will be asked questions. The occupational therapist should also walk around your house with you. This is your chance to be honest. Make sure to tell them all the things which you struggle with. Together you will draw up a plan. 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @nettynoozles. :)

Have you had chance to refer yourself for a needs assessment? I really hope they'll be able to support you.

Please do let us know how you get on!
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.