esa underpayments — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

esa underpayments

good evening read storys about the dwp underpaying people esa from 2011-2014 ,i was on esa from 2010 , how do you know if its you that was underpaid thanks 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,600 Disability Gamechanger

    The underpayments are concerning those that transferred from Incapability benefit to ESA. DWP are in the process of contacting those that moved across and will eventually contact you, if you were previously claiming IB.

    Whether you were underpaid will totally depend on your circumstances during the dates stated in the letter they send you. They will assess your circumstances during this time and the things they look at will be living with partner that works or claims other benefits. Savings/capital, income from pensions and any transitional support protection you may have been receiving when you transferred across. It will also depend on which group you were placed into at the time you transferred.

    Not everyone will be entitled to backdated money. Some people who've been contacted have not be entitled to anything.

    Once you've been assessed then DWP will send you a decision letter but this could take 20+ weeks because the backlogs are huge.

    Hope this helps explain it a little.
  • brodie1990
    brodie1990 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi thanks for replying are they still assessing  it said that most cases should be sorted by Dec 19 but on other sites it's saying march 20 cause of more case's
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,600 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem. They are still in the process of contacting people because backlogs are huge.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.