Home visit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Home visit

Options
SRB
SRB Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi Gang, 
Could I have some advice my son is on PIP and they have requested him to visit Capita for a face to face meeting. I've explained the difficulties my son has travelling independently. They have also received a Doctors letter as well backing this up with his problems. He has moderate learning difficulties/Semantic disorder/behavioural problems poor concentration /ASAP and dyslexia/ Dyscalcula. They have had written proof of this from his GP. They have still said he is not entitled to a home visit  I'm disgusted by this. HELP please 
Simon

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Options
    HI and welcome,

If he attends other appointments then they can refuse the home assessment. A letter from a GP doesn't guarantee a home assessment. May i ask if the GP stated the reasons why he's unable to attend the assessment centre?

You also say that he has behaviour problems, they may refuse a home visit if they think he's a danger to himself and others.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Would it be possible for you to take him to the assessment?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• SRB
    Options
    Hi,
    The behavior problems are not dangerous. Yes the doctor has stated his problems on the letter for the PIP department. I'm at work that day so my son would have to travel to my work place or meet me there. Which he is unable to travel independently. That's why he is on full mobility at the moment.
    Regards 
    Simon 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can ring the health assessment providers to cancel the appointment, if you're unable to attend and make another appointment. Unfortunately, you working will not help a home assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    This sounds like a case that home assessments were designed for.
    Hope someone uses common sense
  • DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    There is no rhyme or reason when it comes to home visits, my husband didn’t request one and didn’t need one as he could get to the assessment centre, so they of course gave him a home visit.  Just shows how useless they are in general I guess, people crying out for home visits don’t get them, those who don’t need them, get them ??‍♀️
  • SRB
    Options
    Hi gang,
    Good news had a phone call today from Capita and said they would do a home visit. Someone with common sense at last and very nice on the phone. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Amazing news @SRB! So happy for you! :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.