You Don’t Look Sick: ‘I was told I was imagining my symptoms for three years’ - The Metro — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

You Don’t Look Sick: ‘I was told I was imagining my symptoms for three years’ - The Metro

Options
Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger

Nicola Deeley, 22, Winsford, Cheshire, lives with fibrous dysplasia of the skull – a bone disorder in where scar-like tissue develops instead of normal bone. 

It causes pain, misshapen bones and can lead to fractures. 

The condition can occur in other parts of the body but when it is specifically in the skull, it can cause changes to the shape of the face or in some cases, hearing or vision loss. 

For Nicola, it also causes chronic migraines. Research and development associate scientist Nicola started to notice something was wrong when she was 13.

You can read the full article here: You Don’t Look Sick: ‘I was told I was imagining my symptoms for three years’ - The Metro
Scope

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What are people's thoughts of this? :)
    Scope

• dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Options
    Typical of the lack of understanding of complex INVISIBLE DISABILITIES, by most of the population and the lack of willingness to understand our issues.
    Also the lack of knowledge in the local medical professions as to the existence of many invisible disabilities, how they may affect an individual, how to make an assessment and diagnosis, and more importantly how to provide the required life long support.
    And this lack of informed, and adequately trained and qualified medical professionals means there is a lack of adequately trained support professionals which in turn leads to a lack of public knowledge and awareness of these complex issues.
    I have Auditory Processing Disorder, a listening disability, the brain not being effectively able to process what the ears hear, which is a life long disability, which is not understood by most of those falsely claiming to be Audiologists, and the so called support professions Speech and Language, and Psychologists (who prefer to make money marketing a symptom dyslexia)
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Although I am chronically disabled myself and a full time wheelchair user, I can see how difficult it must be for those with invisible disabilities to cope with the comments and looks form other members of the public, who are unaware of that person`s sufferings.

I never have that problem as people see the wheelchair and no explanation is needed.

Why should those with unseen medical conditions have to explain themselves? It isn't  fair.!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.