Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help, I am due a home assessment for PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help, I am due a home assessment for PIP

hmay77 Member Posts: 1 Listener
I have a home assessment for PIP in 2 weeks, is it okay to be alone or will they cancel as I have noone it's just me and my cat, I'm a care leaver and my support worker left her job and I'm waiting 2 years later for a new support worker so I have noone as I'm excluded from outside world on a day to day basis I'm worried they won't assess me on my own as last time they said someone had to be with me, apologies if this doesn't make sense and I appreciate any help!


  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, I don't get why they wouldn't assess you on your own. Do you have difficulty in communicating with people? If not and you can speak for yourself, then that should be ok.

    2 years without a support worker! That`s bad.

    Have you had a new care assessment or do they say you are now able to be independent?

    Do you never leave your house?

    Never going out doesn't sound like someone who can be independent to me.

    Mmmm, something`s not right.

    Maybe our Scope advisors will come up with a plan for you.

    Take care hun. xxx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,443 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

    I agree that assessing you when you're alone should cause any issues and im not sure why they wouldn't assess you previously when you were alone. Unless you have an appointee then you will always need to answer all the questions yourself anyway. There shouldn't be any reasons why they won't let the assessment go ahead, unless they cancel it because of others reasons, which sometimes does happen, especially if the person doing the assessment is ill on the day.

    2 years without a support worker is a very long time!  What was the reason it stopped? May i ask if you have a Social Worker at all?

    If you don't have a Social Worker then you can refer yourself for a needs assessment and you can do this online. See this link here. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.