have to have an operation that's gunna take almost a year to recover. — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

have to have an operation that's gunna take almost a year to recover.

I have recently been diagnosed with hip dysplasia, it's at the point now of not being able to walk much or bend because of pain. It started to get really painful when I was pregnant n it's just got worse since.
Its putting alit of pressure on my partner as hes having to help me so much now. We have a 10 year old who has adhd, learning difficulties and autism too and now a 14 month old with digestion issues so hes not been able to sleep properly since birth because hes always in alot of pain trying to pass wind.

And now ontop of that, I'm waiting on an operation which from what I've read is going to put so much strain on my partner. As for 10 weeks i wont be able to walk and then I'll have to use aids to get around.

I just feel it's to much for one person. But if I dont have the operation I'm going to get arthritis and my hip will be too damaged to have the operation. So I'll always be like I am now.

I just dunno what to do! Has anyone had this or have any advice?

I dont have any living family to help either and my friend cant help as she has her handsful as it is! So it will be just on my partners shoulders n I dont think it's fair on him.


  • NotSoSerious
    NotSoSerious Member Posts: 17 Connected
    Might be worth looking into childminding services, and charities, I don't know too much about these as I don't have kids, but if you can find someone who can watch your children, even for a few hours, it should give you and your partner a break.
    "It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life."
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @moonieshines, I'm sorry to hear you need an operation. Have you discussed your worries with the hospital? They should be able to provide you with a rehabilitation occupational therapist who will be able to provide equipment to aid your recovery and make things a little easier. You also may be entitled to physical support.

    Please do let us know how you get on. :)

  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Might be worth ringing Social Services and explain your concerns and see if they can help with childcare.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,868 Connected
    Hello and welcome @moonieshines

    Can you afford childcare or not? Care.com is a good place to start your search for any local childcare providers. Alternatively you can use this website to hire a childcare provider https://www.childcare.co.uk/.
    Make sure that the childcare provider has had a standard or enhanced safety check done that has a clear result for peace of mind. Also prepare a short typed up list of questions to ask candidates at the interview about qualifications and skills as well.
    And remember to make a note of contact details in case of emergencies. Trust your gut feeling. Sort out the childcare now so you can be fairly on top of things. 
    When do you next see the doctor? Whenever my son had a procedure, I packed a big rucksack for us the night before. I always took a handful of spare clothes, some healthy snacks, a bottle of water, a charger, a pen, reading material, my phone, his meds, two puzzle books and a toy. Again jot down some questions to ask. Find out as much as possible. I used to attend every pre surgery appointment with a notebook. Best wishes! 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.