Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Universal Credit

xox_kylie_xox Member Posts: 2 Listener

I’ve recently applied (and got) Carers allowance for looking after my mum who has PIP as she has rheumatoid arthritis.

If I claim UC will I automatically be placed in the no work group as I claim Carers allowance or not?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,873 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

    Yes you would be placed into the no work requirements group but you need to make sure you tell them that you're caring for someone when you make the claim.

    The carers allowance will be classed as income for the UC claim and this will reduce your UC by £286 per month. When you receive your first statement you need to made sure they add the carers element, which is £160.20 per month.
  • xox_kylie_xox
    xox_kylie_xox Member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited January 2020
    Hi poppy,

    Thankyou for your reply.
    Will the Carers element not be automatically added when I apply and tell them I’m caring for my mum?

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,873 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem. Yes it should be but don't take anything for granted with DWP, you should always check your monthly statement.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,596 Scope online community team
    Hi @xox_kylie_xox. It's the carer element of UC that puts you in the "no work group" and as Poppy said, while this should be automatically added when you claim and inform them that you're a carer, it's important to check as sometimes it gets missed. 
    When you attend your initial ID appointment you can also ask them to ensure it's verified. 
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.