Can I get disability premiums? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can I get disability premiums?

Gill82 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I'm new here. I'm wondering if someone can help me with disability premiums, I don't recieve pip or dla. I have been in support group of esa since 2014. Am I entitled to disability premium, enhanced or severe as I have been on esa support for long time .
Or do I need to claim pip ?
I have looked at information and I think if you have been on esa support group for long time you can claim the severe disability premium with other premium if no carers being paid or other adults live with you. 
I don't know if these premiums could be backdated if I'm entitled to any?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,525 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

    Unfortunately, because you don't claim either PIP or DLA then you won't be entitled to the severe disability premium because this is part of the criteria as well as living alone and no one claiming carers allowance for looking after you.

    The other disability premium is Enhanced disability and if you're claiming Income Related ESA this is automatically paid when in the Support Group. If you're claiming Income related then you weekly amount should be £128.45 per week. If you're receiving this amount then you're already claiming the EDP.

    If you're not receiving this amount and your amount is £111.65 per week then you're claiming Contributions based ESA and being entitled to the premium (income related top up) will totally depend on your circumstances.

    Hope this helps.
  • Gill82
    Gill82 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have never applied for pip, no one advised me I could. I am on income based esa support group. There is 3 premiums that can be added , sdp wont apply to me if not claiming pip. I have not been paid higher amount throughout claim until recently , should I have been PM this amount since being put in support group? Also I think I read exceptions of award could be that when you have been out of work classed as unfit for over a year you may be entitled to something  even if no pip? 
    Is this correct,?
    Thanks for your advice
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,525 Disability Gamechanger
    As you're not claiming either PIP or DLA then the only disability premium you're entitled to is the Enhanced disability premium, which is £16.80 per week and because you're claiming Income related this is automatically paid.

    I'm afraid your thoughts about the other disability premium is not correct. This disability premium is not paid on Income Related ESA, it's only paid when claiming either JSA or Income support. See link for verification of my advice.

    This was taken from the above link.
    If you get income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) you cannot get the disability premium, but you may still qualify for the severe and enhanced premiums.

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,525 Disability Gamechanger
    To add to the information, anyone can apply for PIP but it's not about a diagnosis and being in the Support Group doesn't mean you qualify for PIP. PIP is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

    Evidence will be needed to support your claim and this should state how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. A face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them. A claim could potentially take several months or more.

  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,572

    Scope community team

    Hello @Gill82. I hope Poppy was able to clear that up for you? Are you thinking of putting in an application for PIP?
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.