mental illness, advice needed. — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

mental illness, advice needed.

jonathan1981
jonathan1981 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, 

I'm sorry if this is already covered in another thread somewhere. My  ex-partner is on UC but has been off for about a year with a fit note from the Dr. She has severe social anxiety, depression, a recent mental breakdown and i would say some more un-diagnosed mental illness. She has in the past been to the local mental health teams but they have always put her off taking it any further than medication, saying things like 'do you really want to be labelled' and such like. So today she received a phone call to say that her capability assessment decision was that she could work. She can barely leave the house, cant pick the kids up from school which is only 100m away, breaks down regularly at the onset of any stress or change which in tern leads to suicidal thoughts. I work 6 days a week and help out as much as i can, but she needs that little bit of money to help her live, and now they are looking to take that away from her and make her work. It's very apparent to anyone that shes in absolutely no state to work. One of the problems is, when in the past she has been to the job centre she spends the day before preparing herself mentally to go so when they see her she doesn't seem all that bad. What can we do, any guidance or suggestions would be very welcome. 

Thank you. 

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.