Help with carers — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Help with carers

louise1985 Member Posts: 50 Courageous

i just wondered if someone could advise or maybe help me 
my friend has been caring for me and helping me a lot ever since I’ve been ill I’ve just been told I have been accepted for pip for the daily living standard rate and mobility standard rate,I know they can put in for careers allowance which is about £60 per week but I was wondering would they be entitled to universal credit if they had to give up there job because they was caring for me 

thankyou in advance


  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,178

    Scope community team

    Hi @louise1985. Unfortunately without knowing their circumstances it's difficult to say for certain as Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit. Carer's Allowance is deducted £ for £ from Universal Credit, but if they were eligible for UC, they would then get a carer's element added on. They could try putting their details into a benefit calculator, which you can find here.
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,731 Disability Gamechanger

    To add to the advice that Adrian has given, if they are earning more than £123 per week after deductions they wouldn't be entitled to claim carers allowance.

    If you are claiming another benefit such as Income Related ESA, JSA or Income support and you live alone then you could be entitled to claim the severe disability premium in with those benefits. If someone claims Carers allowance for looking after you then you won't be entitled to claim the SDP.
  • louise1985
    louise1985 Member Posts: 50 Courageous
    At the minute I’m currently receiving universal credit Standard rate and the limited capability for work and work related activity I’ve just been recently been told by pip that I have been awarded daily component standard rate and mobility standard rate would there be anything else I’m able to claim?
    thankyou for your help much appreciated poppy and Adrian 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately, the disability premiums that were available with the old legacy benefits are not payable when claiming UC. You maybe entitled to claim extra council tax reduction but this will depend on your local council because all all councils have their own rules and you will need to contact them regarding this. Regarding any other benefits, it sounds like you're claiming everything you're entitled to because UC has replaced them.

    Your mobility award may entitle you to a blue badge, but that will depend where you scored those points for mobility.

    Disabled rail card but there's a cost. Possibly a bus pass but again it will depend where you scored those points in the mobility part.

    A CEA card for free entry into the cinema for a carer. This is £6 per year.

    Free entry for a carer into lots of attractions in the UK but some may offer a reduced entry free.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.