Help with carers — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with carers

louise1985
louise1985 Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
morning

i just wondered if someone could advise or maybe help me 
my friend has been caring for me and helping me a lot ever since I’ve been ill I’ve just been told I have been accepted for pip for the daily living standard rate and mobility standard rate,I know they can put in for careers allowance which is about £60 per week but I was wondering would they be entitled to universal credit if they had to give up there job because they was caring for me 

thankyou in advance

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @louise1985. Unfortunately without knowing their circumstances it's difficult to say for certain as Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit. Carer's Allowance is deducted £ for £ from Universal Credit, but if they were eligible for UC, they would then get a carer's element added on. They could try putting their details into a benefit calculator, which you can find here.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

To add to the advice that Adrian has given, if they are earning more than £123 per week after deductions they wouldn't be entitled to claim carers allowance.

If you are claiming another benefit such as Income Related ESA, JSA or Income support and you live alone then you could be entitled to claim the severe disability premium in with those benefits. If someone claims Carers allowance for looking after you then you won't be entitled to claim the SDP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • louise1985
    louise1985 Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    At the minute I’m currently receiving universal credit Standard rate and the limited capability for work and work related activity I’ve just been recently been told by pip that I have been awarded daily component standard rate and mobility standard rate would there be anything else I’m able to claim?
    thankyou for your help much appreciated poppy and Adrian 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately, the disability premiums that were available with the old legacy benefits are not payable when claiming UC. You maybe entitled to claim extra council tax reduction but this will depend on your local council because all all councils have their own rules and you will need to contact them regarding this. Regarding any other benefits, it sounds like you're claiming everything you're entitled to because UC has replaced them.

Your mobility award may entitle you to a blue badge, but that will depend where you scored those points for mobility. https://www.gov.uk/blue-badge-scheme-information-council

Disabled rail card but there's a cost. Possibly a bus pass but again it will depend where you scored those points in the mobility part. https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-disabled-bus-pass

A CEA card for free entry into the cinema for a carer. This is £6 per year.

Free entry for a carer into lots of attractions in the UK but some may offer a reduced entry free.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.