Welcomes and introductions
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Hi, my name is ggailboff!

ggailboffggailboff Member Posts: 2 Listener
I currently receive pip and I require a mobility scooter is there anywhere that I could get a personal loan to pay for it.thanks in advance

Replies

• steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ggailboff

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today.

I am one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I have got a good friend “Poppy” who will be able to offer you some help/advice.

Hi @poppy123456

Can you please offer me some help with this post???

Many thanks.

@steve51

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the tag @steve51. I did comment for some unknown reason it hasn't posted.

HI and welcome,.

Do you claim any means tested benefits such as Universal Credit (with no earned Income) or Income related JSA/ESA or Income Support? If you do and you've been claiming for at least 6 months then you maybe able to claim for a budgeting loan or budgeting advance. How much you can borrow will depend on your circumstances. It will need to be repaid back from future benefit payments but there's no interest to pay. See link. https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/budgeting-loans-and-budgeting-advances

For any other loans then it will depend on your financial situation and your credit rating but do be aware that sometimes the interest can be very large.

Have you taken a look on gumtree for your area? They often have mobility scooters for sale on there. Take a look and see what you find. Also if you have access to facebook, try looking at the for sale sites in your area, sometimes people sell them quite cheap.

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Ami2301Ami2301 Community champion Posts: 7,147 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ggailboff do you mind sharing which component you receive for mobility, standard or enhanced? If you receive the enhanced component, you can get a mobility scooter through the Motability scheme :) 
    Community Champion
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ami2301 thanks for that, i didn't give that a thought. Although whether this is worth it is another matter. https://www.motability.co.uk/products/

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 7,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ggailboff Welcome to the community. As advised if you are on enhanced mobility you can use motability scheme, but it does seem a very expensive way to get one and of course you need your award to stay in place to keep it. I have looked into this for myself but didn't think it was a good option. There are lots second hand ones advertised on facebook ,gumtree and ebay.    
  • AilsAils Community champion Posts: 2,268 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ggailboff and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  Good luck in finding a mobility scooter.  If we can be of any help/support to you then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • ggailboffggailboff Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you so much
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ggailboff! Is there anything else we can do to help? :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
Sign in or join us to comment.