Hi, my name is ell1es! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is ell1es!

ell1es
ell1es Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi all, I have joined on behalf of my husband who has just requested his PIP form. Thank you for having me.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ell1es - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. I hope we may be able to help & advise as your husband goes through the PIP process. The important thing to take onboard is that PIP is not about a diagnosis, but how a person's disability affects them when attempting any of the descriptors for the activities of daily living & mobility.
    It's a good idea to give examples of any difficulties faced the last couple of times your husband attempted any of the descriptors that are problematic.
    If you have any questions, please do say, as there are others here with a very good knowledge about PIP, as well as other benefits. Please know we will support you both as much as we can, so talk here any time. :)

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ell1es

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today.

I am one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Can you please let me know what help /support that I can offer you with your husband’s “PIP”

We have got a member who is very good when it comes to “Benefits”

I can forward your post onto her if that would be helpful???

@steve51

• ell1es
    Thanks to both of you. I am a Children's nurse working with those with complex needs by background and I have a list of the things he can and can't do to break down into the activities of daily living and over a 24 hour period. Also noted the pointers on CAB website which I am in the process of making notes on.
    Many thanks for the warm welcome :-)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ell1es Welcome to the community you will find lots of members and champions who can give you advice about your husbands PIP application as you progress. I suggest you read as much as you can about the process like the link above. Come back if there is anything else you want to ask. You could also read the PIP posts on here just don't get put off with the negative posts lots of people (including myself ) apply successfully but they don't post that on a forum. 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ell1es and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for joining us.  I wish you and your husband well in his journey through PIP and if there is anything we can help/support you with then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    ell1es said:
    Thanks to both of you. I am a Children's nurse working with those with complex needs by background and I have a list of the things he can and can't do to break down into the activities of daily living and over a 24 hour period. Also noted the pointers on CAB website which I am in the process of making notes on.
    Many thanks for the warm welcome :-)

HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

Please be aware that PIP criteria doesn't consider a 24 hour period. It's how your affected at least 50% of the time over a 12 month period that's considered.

When the form is received i'd advise you to write as much information as possible for each descriptor that applies to him and then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time he attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies.

An extra 14 days can be given to return the form, just ring to request this.

Relevant evidence should be sent with the form to support the claim because they rarely contact anyone for this. Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them.

There's no timescales for decisions or waiting times for assessments.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ell1es :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • ell1es
    Thank you all so much for the warm welcome :-)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ell1es
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @ell1es. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.