ESA tribunal failure — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA tribunal failure

Jools60
Jools60 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all. I am looking for some advice. I have reactive inflammatory arthritis and chronic fatigue syndrome.   Last week I had my tribunal hearing and I was refused ESA. I know I am telling the truth.  Since then I have had a bit of a breakdown and been really unwell.  Does anyone think I should bother appealing?  Or do I put up and shut up?  I don’t have many reserves left mentally.  Any advice appreciated people.  TIA

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,319 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm sorry to hear this.

You can't just appeal because you think the decision was wrong. Any worsening of condition will not be taken into consideration.

The first thing you need to so is request the statement of reasons and record of proceedings from HMCTS and you need to do this within 1 month of the date of the decision.

Once you receive this you need to find someone to take a look to see if they can find the error in law. If this isn't found then i'm afraid you won't be able to appeal the decision.

This whole process could take well over a year, if that error in law is found. There's also no timescales for how long it will take for the Judge to write and send the SOR. They can take as long as they want because they usually write them when they have time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.