Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


Hello just quick question previously I was on esa claiming as a couple then partner separated.
 So I claimed single rate esa an filled form in for   pip in October while I was receiving esa
Then when I got back with my partner I told esa an they told me I need go on Uc so in November I made joint claim with partner
kniw I been awarded  pip from October can I ask for sdp to be looked at will I be able claim transistion payment or won’t I
recieve  it as I’m in Uc know even tho my claims successful an is going be back dated to when I was reviewing single rate support group esa 


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020

    If you were awarded daily living PIP and no one claimed carers allowance for looking after you then you’ll be able to claim a small amount of backdated money for the SDP up until your partner moved In or you claimed UC, which ever came sooner.

    The SDP transitional support protection wouldn’t apply to you, unfortunately.

    Unless your partner claims a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care then you wouldn't have been entitled to the SDP when your partner moved in with you anyway. As your partner was already claiming UC then claiming this with them was your only option.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hello20, is there anything else we can do to help?

Sign in or join us to comment.