Universal Credit taking carers off us — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit taking carers off us

Options
donji
donji Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi the universal credit is one big sham so there can pocket more money and leave us without..we never got our carers allowance took off us before on the income support and the tax credit we are losing money witch every way you look at it its disgusting and it needs to be axed asap

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @donji and I'm sorry to hear this. May I ask what benefits you are receiving? Then we can break it down and try and find a solution :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

Although UC doesn't suit everyone and some will indeed be worse off but there are also some people that are better off on UC then the old legacy benefits.

Your thoughts on the carers allowance on UC as apposed to Income support are not exactly correct here. Carers allowance was always deducted £1 for £1 from Income support in exactly the same way it's deducted from UC.

With Income support you had the carers premium included in your Income support. With UC there's also a carers element of £160 per month providing the person that's caring isn't receiving the LCWRA element because the same person can't receive both elements together. If it's a joint claim then the person that isn't receiving the LCWRA element should claim the carers element, this way both elements will be included in the claim.

As you have dependent children then you'll also need to make sure they are adding the child element to your claim. For the 1sr child this should be £277.08 and for any other children  it's £231.67

If you have 2 or more children and they were born after April 2017 then you won't receive any extra money for those, this is the same rules that were in place for tax credits.

If you have disabled children and they are claiming DLA/PIP then you'll also receive the disabled child element, whether it's the higher or lower limit will depend what award they are receiving.

Other than that without knowing all of your details and what elements you are receiving it's impossible to advise you. You can of course put all your details into a benefits calculator to see if you're receiving the correct amount. Please be aware that it's only as accurate as the information you put into it.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @donji and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I hope you have found @poppy123456 excellent information above to be of use to you.  If there is anything else we can help/support you with then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @donji, sorry to hear that, how are you doing today?
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.