DM stopped PIP and said I was overpaid? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DM stopped PIP and said I was overpaid?

Cenobite
Cenobite Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi

I recently went for an assessment and failed. I received a letter on the 27th Jan telling me that my PIP was stopping.
The last payment I received was on the 28th of Jan, and I have just noticed on the letter that the DM has said;

"Unfortunately, we have paid you to much money. You'll get a letter to tell if you need to pay any money back"

Are they suggesting that I should pay back all money since getting PIP in 2016?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @ cenobite, Reading your post it looks as if there has been a addmin error. The DWP has overpaid you by several weeks, your previous award expired weeks after your assessment and DWP continued to pay you PIP when you weren't entitled to the payments. You must of know the end date of your award and where waiting for a reply from the DWP reference to your PIP award. You state your application failed and yet you accepted and you knowingly where overpayed until you received the letter stating this overpayment. I would phone DWP on Monday for clarification of the amount to be repaid and state that through no fault of yourself, you the DWP in error have overpaid me which I was not expected to receive. Keep us updated it's rough justice if DWP made the mistake and then want their money back. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    wilko said:
    @ cenobite, Reading your post it looks as if there has been a addmin error. The DWP has overpaid you by several weeks,

Sorry but can you tell me where you've seen this? I don't see anywhere  that their PIP stopped several weeks before they received the last payment.

@Cenobite sometimes when a decision is made on a review there can be an overpayment. It depends when the decision was made.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cenobite
    Cenobite Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you @poppy123456 and @wilko for your replies.
    Here is a more exact picture.
    I was assessed in Nov 2019 after completing an AR1 (review) form.
    The assessor sent a report to the DM. On the 27th Jan I received the letter mentioned above.
    The last payment I received was one the 28th Jan which was the normal standard rate that I have been receiving,
    since 2016. That said it's the way it is worded; "Unfortunately, we have paid you to much money..."
    Let's go a little bit further. As soon I received the DM's decision letter, I also received a letter
    informing me that my disability premium (paid as part of my ESA support group payment) has ceased.
    Its all very vague and its beginning to make me wonder what do they mean by 'to much' and to what period of
    time does this apply? I know calling them is the answer but I just want to hear any opinions or experiences,
    or just your thoughts.. Regards and thanks.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    Sounds like you were also receiving the severe disability premium in with your ESA, which will have also stopped when your PIP ended. Without knowing what date the decision was made on the PIP, it's impossible to give any further advice. I'd advise you to ring them tomorrow and they will answer any questions you have about a possible overpayment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.