DWP PHONED TO SAY I AM OWED MONEY FOR SDP DATING BACK TO 2012-2013??? [Real Or Fake Call?] — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


So first of all, hello everybody this is my first post here :) hope everyone is healthy and okay! Just a quick question really but first a bit about myself and my benefits etc.. I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome when I was 13 and at the time was placed on DLA (Middle care and lower mobility) indefinatly and was getting ESA as well, my DLA was recently switched to PIP and after the assesment got refused PIP (waiting for tribunal at the moment) but still get ESA.. anyway that isn't my question just to give people an idea of my situation... I recently received a phonecall from the DWP and a women said something about I was eligible for SDP from April 2012 up until August 2013 (August being when a family member started claiming carers allowance for being my carer) and said I could be owed money from between that time, she asked me a few simple questions on the phone like how long have I lived at my current address and if anybody else had ever claimed carers allowance (bar said family member) I told her I have lived on my own since 2012 and nobody has ever lived with me and also the only person to claim carers for me was said family member in august 2013, she then told me she would go over the paperwork and I should receive a call/letter in 2 weeks... it all seems a bit too good to be true to me.. for once the DWP handing out money instead of wanting it so my question is.. Is this normal and a legitimate call? I was going to ring back the DWP and ask if the call was legit but I get very anxious talking on the phone so decided to give it a miss and try here instead :) if anybody has been in the same boat how long roughly after contacting you does everything go through as the money really would help at the moment while being forced to live off of just under £400 a month while waiting for my PIP tribunal date :/ .. Thank you in advance <3


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,177 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    Yes indeed the SDP criteria is either PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance, you must live alone or be classed as living alone and no one must be claiming carers allowance or the carers element of UC for looking after you. Had that person no claimed carers allowance for you at that time in 2013 then the backdated money would have been even more. So yes, the call is very likely to real.

    If your PIP Tribunal goes in your favour and you're awarded at least daily living, if you still live alone then it's definitely worth while claiming the SDP for yourself rather than have someone claim carers allowance for looking after you, if you still live alone. This premium is £65.85 per week from April 2019, less is previous years. It will also be backdated to the same amount of time as your PIP, if you're successfully awarded of course.
  • Atopius
    Atopius Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hey poppy123456 thanks for your help :) this seems to have cleared the issue up. thanks once again and I hope all is well
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,177 Disability Gamechanger
    You're very welcome :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Atopius. :)

    Please do let us know how you get on!


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.