Disability and Weight - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability and Weight

2»

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @newborn   Great advice these are good. I just wanted to add one of the things I learnt.

Mixing as I did with Italian families is Sunday after Church is the big preparation day for the week ahead.

I do this know, there are easy ways to do food and to not waste any thing.

These are the ones I use tips, tricks shortcut and learnt from Kitchen, volunteering and also from my Italian friends.

1.  If buying produce the best you can afford cheap ingredients do not make good meals if they or of inferior quality.

Be sensible and if do buying organic think do I need to make uses of these can I freeze.

If not organic any meat or vegetables is it good quality and it worth buying in bulk, do the maths.

Used to go around stores with a calculator on my mobile , some supermarkets rip you off and deceive.

Anything can be frozen make sure it is stored carefully. Tin foil cut and ready to use on line. Company called Bacon foil no need scissors.
    Have various also zip bags, clip bags and assorted storage for being useful veggies freezer, or fruit or marinades or useful for portion control.

2. Use food processor slicers attachment and blenders to cut, dice make sauces simple ones.

Write down instructions how to use adapt for your use.

In busy kitchens arrive prep vegetables and into cartons, zip bags or use blanching.

Add to a pan of water boiling quickly add . Have a colander on the hob and scoop out with a spoon slotted one in to a bowl of cold water to shock.

Cool down as store in fridge. 

The Classic Sol Frito which is Carrot Onion, Celery used all over the world for recipes add to any other veggies.

Cheat quick one buy good quality brands of Tomato Pasta sauce. Italian ones, Napolina, Biona, Barilla on line cheaper. Think of using on lines for general use of those items a lot.

Worth considering.  thinking of Rice and Pasta bulk buys share the cost with family members.

If buying big 1kg bags actually works out cheaper than supermarkets.

Also think of if I can freeze sauces, stocks, soups use your freezer.

On line plastic container none stain ones new products useful.

Old memory my Italian friends making bulks Pasta sauces me helping rigid plastic Containers in the freezer bought small ones .

Two freezers full.

3.  Look at planning each week simple menus and meal plans that can be helpful.

Example do think ahead if making like I do Pasta a lot put extra in the Pan for the next meal.

Use the amount you wish to and the rest use another meal.

Same with veggies left over always use up add extra for Soups, cost nothing you have the left overs.

I eat a lot of Soup cheap budgets cost little and freeze.

Think  of slow cookers, soups . Think of looking on line websites just because it says lets say Soup mix or vegetables for mash.

Use these already diced ready to freeze add Tomato Passata Stock cube.  Instant Ragu mixes. 

Plus Red Wine Vinegar your preservative.

4.  For Convenience look at websites for frozen veggies and fruit.

Saves a lot of time chopping.

Simple meals and simple one pots.

I use the following Peas, Beans, Spinach, Broccoli.

5. To sweeten recipes if too sour or acidic use Lemon Juice or use Dried fruit.

Apricots, Dates, Prunes all used in Cuisines around the world.

6.  I use Organic Tomato Ketchup instead of sugar and use various Spices Herbs to flavour sauces meat.

Cinnamon, Paprika, Chilli help.

Beware of Salt in food, too salty or too spicy use a Potato.

I hope these help.

One other just signed up to OCADO wow.

Always worth looking at best shopping on line experience for ages.

Please if I can help with anything ask me have a lot of ideas to help.

Few suggestions mentioned.

Best wishes take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.