Severe learning disability / advice re pda — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe learning disability / advice re pda

Options
sparklym77
sparklym77 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am looking after a child with the above and has the developmental age of a toddler but answers no to most things or 10 minutes struggles to get dressed each day and lies to control situations.

I have thought for a while this could be pda but I am unsure as due to his developmental age it would be normal for a toddler to fight everything ? 

Any advice or anywhere you could direct me to would be helped I’m not sure what I’m looking for but it seems to becoming worse and almost seems at times like he nows whAt he is doing ? His meltdowns he can hit out and he will tell us he is going to hit us and hit is. He has limited communication also

Comments

• LouiseH
    LouiseH Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @sparklym77 welcome to the group. I hope you can find some guidance on here.
    I have included a link below to the PDA Society below:

https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/about-us-landing/about-us/

Also I have a link for the National Autistic society which helps explain PDA

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/what-is/pda.aspx

I hope this provides some information and will help you going forward. 

Best wishes, 
    Louise 
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sparklym77 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm sorry to hear you are struggling so much in caring for this little boy.  It sounds as though you care for him very deeply and want to help him.  I hope the excellent information given above by @LouiseH is useful to you and things improve for this little boy.  If there is anything else we can help/support you with then you only just have to ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.