Bad pip assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Bad pip assessment

magsy Member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi I’ve just had my pip assessment the lady came to my home I’ve just had my report back which is absolute rubbish it’s like she’s talking about someone else I’m so confused any advice would be grateful ty magsy


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,609 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    If you haven't already added up the points that may have been recommended in the report then i'd advise you to do this and use the PIP descriptors online to see what, if anything has been recommended for the points for an award. They usually go with the report, it's rare to go against it. Look for the dots next to the descriptors and then use the PIP self test.

    You will need to wait for a decision to made but if you're not happy once it's been made you'll have 1 month from that date to request the mandatory reconsideration (MR) you should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Send relevant evidence with the letter to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

    You should avoid mentioning any lies/contradictions that may have been told in the report because they won'tbe interested in any of those. Any complaints about the report should be sent to the health assessment providers.

    Most MR decisions remain the same so you'll likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. The only downside is that waiting times are huge in most areas and lots of people are waiting about a year for a hearing date.

    If you can get some face to face advice from an agency near you then i'd advise you to do that for the MR and Tribunal.
  • magsy
    magsy Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi poppy123456 thank you for your reply 
  • magsy
    magsy Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi poppy thank you I was on high rate on both as have ptsd , aniexty depression , arthritis in hips arms knee and lots more the lady came who was not very nice at all , she says in report my legs were good she never even asked me to stand up, also I have terrible anxiety I can’t really talk to any one with out panicking, she said I was great in speaking the report goes on and on but in the back where the dotted lines are it looks like I have no points at all she dotted the first one on everything saying I don’t need no help should I phone them and and tell them it’s all wrong xx
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,219 Disability Gamechanger
    You can only wait for the decision from the DWP now, if it's as you think then first step is mandatory reconsideration, where you can point out where you think you should have been given points but weren't.
    If that comes back the same then you will need to appeal.
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,609 Disability Gamechanger
    If the first box is ticked then yes that will be no points recommended and it's likely that will be the decision. You will need to wait for the decision before putting your MR request in writing as advised.

    Do be aware that once your DLA payments end then this could affect any other benefits you're claiming.
  • magsy
    magsy Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you again for reply poppy what other benefits I claim housing benifit and council tax 
  • magsy
    magsy Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you for reply woodbine this is making me so anxious ?
  • DaveTheWasp
    DaveTheWasp Member Posts: 37 Courageous
    edited February 2020
    When my wife's PIP got declined, this stopped carers allowance (if anyone is claiming this for helping you) and income support (on the grounds of it being a change of circumstances which triggers a need to move to universal credit). Housing benefit and council tax support were also temporarily suspended for us (not sure how other councils deal with changes in circumstances, but our council can be a little trigger happy suspending benefits).  I'm pretty sure you should be able to have HB/CT reinstated on the grounds of nil/low income, if they do get stopped (I wrote a short letter to the council explaining the situation and sent copies of the decision letters).
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,609 Disability Gamechanger
    You won't have to claim housing benefit through nil income because PIP is counted for this, the reason why housing benefit would stop through income support ending is because it's a passport benefit to claim housing benefit because income support is means tested.

    Claiming just the DLA if you have non dependents (people over the age of 18) living with you then your housing benefit will be reduced because of non dependent deductions. You need to report the changes to your local council for housing benefit and council tax reduction.
  • CJ61
    CJ61 Member Posts: 70 Courageous
    Hello magsy. I realise this is a late rely but I only managed to get back on the forum today. I had a similar experience to what you are saying happened to you. The assessor who came to my home (which I hated in itself) wrote my report as if it was about somebody else. She also flat out LIED about a couple of things. I was so enraged I found the strength to take it to tribunal when my MR was denied. The great news is Ive just won my tribunal. My PIPS were stopped in April of 2019 so its been an agonising amount of time but I got justice eventually. I feel for you I really do but my advice, for what its worth is DONT GIVE UP. Fight for what you are entitled to. I am currently chewing over the idea of if and how to make a formal complaint against the assessor who was from ATOS and as I have her name I can be specific. Good luck. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.