CA stopped — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

CA stopped

Harryhoudinl Member Posts: 3 Listener
My Wife has had her carers allowance stopped but it is borderline. Has anyone got an idea of any allowances you can claim to bring it below the threshold 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,462 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    HI and welcome,

    Are you saying that it was stopped because she works and earns more than £123 per week after deductions? If so then may i ask how much she earns per week?
  • Harryhoudinl
    Harryhoudinl Member Posts: 3 Listener
    It varies but no than £126a wwe,k
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,462 Disability Gamechanger
    There's no allowances that can be claimed. Expenses that will reduce earnings are as follows.

    Your earnings are any income from employment and self-employment after tax, national insurance and expenses.

    Expenses can include:

    • 50% of your pension contributions
    • equipment you need to do your job, for example specialist clothing
    • travel costs between different workplaces that are not paid for by your employer, for example fuel or train fares
    • business costs if you’re self-employed, for example a computer you only use for work

    If you pay a carer to look after the disabled person or your children while you work, you can treat care costs that are less than or equal to 50% of your earnings as an expense. The carer must not be your spouse, partner, parent, child or sibling.

    Or maybe reducing the hours worked by 1 per week would also help.

    May i ask if you're claiming any other benefits, possibly Universal credit?

  • Ails
    Ails Member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Harryhoudinl and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I hope you have found Poppy's advice and information helpful.  If there is anything we can help/support you with then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Harryhoudinl
    Harryhoudinl Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks everybody for your advice.
    i hope to be a regular contributor 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,572

    Scope community team

    Welcome to the community @Harryhoudinl. :smile:
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,152 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community and happy your query has been answered. Have a look around the site and feel free to join in any discussions or start your own


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.