Little questions — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Little questions

Options
cici2016
cici2016 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
Just a couple little questions 
so I’m my husbands assessment the assessor asked if he can use a fork and knife (we never put this on his form as didn’t think it was relevant but she knew a lot of dyspraxics struggle with this activity). Now we put on our form he could do it fine. But when she questioned it we confirmed he can’t eat with a fork and knife and uses force with his fork/just stand what it is to eat or I help with tougher meats to cut up. Will he be eligible for the points for nutrition then? 

Another one we said he was fine with was travelling independently (mainly because we have smartphones and he can use Siri to get the directions and they tell him where to go) we didn’t even consider public transportation but she asked if he were to get a train alone though could he. Which he couldn’t as the signs are too fast for him to read and he would be too anxious to ask someone. But he would be fine if someone was with him. So does that mean he is eligible for those points? 

And the last one was managing medical conditions. Now I put he was fine because he doesn’t have physica medical stuff due to his learning disabilities. But for example the dentist he doesn’t go. I try get go there he won’t he freaks out and right now he is sitting with two cracked teeth, plaque build up extreme, fillings that need redone and he’s in pain but I’m trying my hardest to get him to go but he gets going for apt’s. Same with his lumps he has random lumps had them for years it took me making an apt and dragging him there with the help of his mum. Thankfully it was just fatty tissue but I didn’t realise that might count. So does that qualify for points in that section? 

I’m hoping the fact we put he was fine and then the lady after questioning these tings and us residing aw yeah he does get that doesn’t go against him? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,200 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Taking nutrition.. it will depend on the reasons why he needs you to cut his meat for him, if it's because he can't use a knife and fork then no points will be scored for this.

Following and planning a journey, It will most likely be very difficult for anyone to read signs when traveling on a train because of the speed in which they travel. Would he be able to travel on a bus alone? What about going to the local shop on his own, is he able to do this?

Managing therapy (medical conditions) no, he won't score any points for that because not wanting to go to the dentist isn't considered under this activity. If he take medication and he needs either prompting/assistance/supervision then 1 point can be scored here. Otherwise managing therapy more than 1 point is only possible if therapy is given in your own home, which must be recommended by a health professional.

Take a look at this link, it will give you more of an understanding of the PIP descriptors and what they mean.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cici2016
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Thank you, yeah it’s just because he isn’t able to coordinate the knife and fork movement with the two sides of his body. That’s the only reason. 
    The train I mean the signs in the train station not the sign on the physical train. Know how they flash across and only stay up a minute each. Them signs. Buses he can’t  read or understand the times/routes he would need etc or what stance to go to. Going to the local shop he can do easily though. 
    Aw thanks for that link 
  • cici2016
    Options
    So he didn’t get it 
    he scored 0 on everything which I’m utterly shocked by
    apparently the fact he can drive means he can manage a budget ... no I manage his budget which I told her. 
    Apparently he can cook because he works.. because if he can time getting to work at 9 everyday (even tho he gets a lift most days) means he can cook. 
    Apparently in the same page he made no eye contact but then on the same page “he has good rapport and eye contact” 
    hoendtly fed up I can’t keep fighting this.
    apparenlty because he can drive he can read and write even tho he got the audio test for learning and he “passed” exams (lowest level and he only passed 2 out of 8 of his exams and that was with someone reading, explaining, a type writer and a spell checker)  
    He can’t read, write, do basic maths, cook, struggle in social situations. It holds him back in all aspects of life. But apparently according to pip he’s cured and can do allll this just fine
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,200 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    cici2016 said:
    So he didn’t get it 
    he scored 0 on everything which I’m utterly shocked by
    apparently the fact he can drive means he can manage a budget ... no I manage his budget which I told her. 
    Apparently he can cook because he works.. because if he can time getting to work at 9 everyday (even tho he gets a lift most days) means he can cook. 
    Apparently in the same page he made no eye contact but then on the same page “he has good rapport and eye contact” 
    hoendtly fed up I can’t keep fighting this.
    apparenlty because he can drive he can read and write even tho he got the audio test for learning and he “passed” exams (lowest level and he only passed 2 out of 8 of his exams and that was with someone reading, explaining, a type writer and a spell checker)  
    He can’t read, write, do basic maths, cook, struggle in social situations. It holds him back in all aspects of life. But apparently according to pip he’s cured and can do allll this just fine

Hi,
    I replied to this on your other thread here https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/69393/no-points#latest

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.