I need help please — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I need help please

lisagm Member Posts: 26 Listener
 I've just received my second knock back from personal independent payment, the assessor has lied through their back teeth most of what they said is absolute rubbish!! I'm so upset at the utter rubbish that this woman has written, im not strong  enough to go through this all again. The last time they made me go through tribunal I had my husband as a representative as he was the only person with me in the middle of the night when i have the worst of my cluster headaches and they wouldn't let him speak, they read me a letter from 12 years previously before i had been diagnosed or had my brain tumour. I have since been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and arthritis in my left hip and 4 of my facet joint   2 years down the line maybe even 3 I've applied again only this time i have been given 0 points, last time 6 points but awarded disability for the 3 years previous. I have since split with my husband and am seriously struggling. Having to lean on my son who started his own business a year ago and is so busy with his job and his own family, he not only supports me on a day to day basis he help me financially as I'm now running my house on my own. Can i go to a solicitor about this, or a appointee. I can't cope!


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,431 Disability Gamechanger

    PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

    I'm a little confuses by your post and it's unclear if you've had a PIP award or whether you were refused by a Tribunal previously and you've now decided to re-apply a couple of years later, is that correct?

    As you're most likely aware you now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR. You should put this in writing stating where you think you should have score those points and your reasons why. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

    You should send relevant evidence with the form to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

    You don't need a solicitor to request the MR and Tribunal. A benefits adviser will help/support and advise you. Put your postcode into this link to see what's local to you for this help and support. https://advicelocal.uk/

    Do be aware that most MR decisions remain the same so you'll likely have to take it to Tribunal again. Waiting times are huge for most areas and lots are waiting about a year for a hearing date.

    An appointee is different to help and support from an adviser. An appointee is someone who manages your benefits claims for you and has your money paid into their own bank account. The appointee will then be responsible for all your benefits, reports changes, filling out forms and receiving letters.

    An appointee is for those who are unable to manage their own claim because of they are mentally incapable or severally disabled but having an appointee doesn't mean you'll automatically be entitled to PIP.
    See link for information.

  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lisagm, I'm really sorry to hear how difficult things have been recently. It must be exhausting. 

    Have you received your PIP decision yet, or just the report? It is your if you want to appeal.

    If you would like some expert advice then you can find the services available in your area on AdviceLocal.

    Have you ever had a needs assessment? You can refer yourself and you might be entitled to some extra support which might help. 

    Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything we can do to help. :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.