Footwear for AFO splints — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Footwear for AFO splints

paije1
paije1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi im new to this my daughter has cerebral palsy an is hemi plegic and has just been given a AFO but im finding it realy difficult to find shoes which fit over it now i have to get 2 sizes too big which is difficult for her on her other foot

Comments

• paije1
    Hi im new to this my daughter has cerebral palsy an is hemi plegic and has just been given a AFO but im finding it realy difficult to find shoes which fit over it now i have to get 2 sizes too big which is difficult for her on her other foot
  • hdeakin
    hdeakin Scope Member Posts: 126 Pioneering
    Hello, and welcome to the community!

I wear SAFOs (Silcone ankle foot orthotics) and have the same issue. I have found these Nike flyease trainers. I love them. I have included a link to a blog post I have recently written all about them. I hope it is helpful and they may work for your daughter.

http://hannahdeakin.blogspot.com/2020/02/nike-flyease-trainers-and-safosafos.html

Let me know how you get on or if I can help anymore ?

Best wishes,

Hannah
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome there is a group on face book Jo's odd shoes which do odd size shoes or single shoes for peop0le with these sort of conditions, people donate their odd shoes and they are redistributed and they also get donsti0ons from shoe suppliers . All you pay is the cost of postage.  

Clarks also offer a service where you pay reduced amount if only one shoe required or if odd pair you don't have pay full cost of 2 pairs of shoes

Hope this helps

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @paije1 and welcome to the community!

I have worn AFO splints for most of my life so can certainly relate to 'joys' of shoe shopping. I have always needed one or two sizes bigger than my shoe size.

Taking the sole of the shoe out can really help make more room. I also found that boys shoes were easier as they sometimes has shoes that open up more, are more sturdy and can be wider. Trainers also are the easiest to fit. I’ve found the best style / design are high top Velcro trainers

For boots, I always went for a design that had both laces and a zip as this meant the shoe could be opened up more.

There is a website that you can get adapted shoes for splints, I have never used them myself but I know others who have: https://billyfootwear.com/

I hope this helps and please do keep us updated on your shoe hunt!
    Scope

• paije1
    Thanks everyone ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.