How to go about claiming entitlements? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

How to go about claiming entitlements?

Flipflop Member Posts: 2 Listener
I am 63 years old I had a mini stroke inNovember 2019 have been off work since my company have now had to finish my contract due to H&S issues because of medical conditions also I am awaiting Neurological operation as I have now  spinal issue 
My problem is I don’t know how to go about claiming entitlements due as I can not work and it’s causing me depression 
Thank you


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,885 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    If you've paid enough NI contributions from working in the years April 2017 to March 2019 then you'll be able to claim New style ESA. You will need a fit note from your GP to be able to claim this and it can be backdated 3 months but you'll need a fit note backed to the same time you want your claim to start.

    This pays £73.10 per week and is paid for 1 year unless placed into the Support Group and then it's paid for as long as you remain in that group. it's not means tested so savings/capital and living with partner that works doesn't affect it. The only thing that affects it is if you have a pension that is more than £85 per week.

    There's also PIP, which has replaced DLA. It's not awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Relevant evidence will be needed to support your claim. It's not means tested either so savings/capital do no affect it.

    If you need help paying your rent then you'll need to claim Universal Credit, whether you qualify will totally depend on your circumstances. It's a means tested benefit so savings/capital, living with partner that works and pensions all affect the amount you're entitled to. If you claim New style ESA as well as this then your ESA amount will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC entitlement.

    A visit to your local advice centre for a full benefits check is the best thing to do here. Hope this helps.

  • Flipflop
    Flipflop Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your info do I apply through Jobcentre and do I walk on or make an appointment??
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,885 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome.

    This was taken from that link.

    Fill in a NSESAF1 claim form to apply for ‘New Style’ ESA.

    You can either:

    • download and print the NSESAF1 form
    • call the UC helpline to get one through the post or by email

    If you cannot download the form or use the phone, you can get a claim form from your local Jobcentre Plus.

    Universal Credit helpline

    Telephone: 0800 328 5644
    Textphone: 0800 328 1344
    NGT text relay – if you cannot hear or speak on the phone: 18001 then 0800 328 5644
    Welsh language: 0800 328 1744
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 11,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Flipflop - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. I hope you find all of the great information Poppy has given you helpful. Do say if we can help or support you with anything else. :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,885 Disability Gamechanger
    To claim PIP you need to ring DWP to start a claim. Details here in this link.

  • Formidible
    Formidible Member Posts: 22 Listener
    Hi and welcome to the group . I'm new myself but have found much support here already. Your situation must seem quite overwhelming right now I'm sure, but it will get better. Take one day at a time is my main advice and keep posting. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,951 Disability Gamechanger
    @Flipflop Welcome to the community, it is a very daunting situation to think about, follow the advise and take it one step at a time, we are here to offer advice and support as we all have many experiences to share of going through the whole benefits process. Good luck
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.