Upcoming visit from Occupational Therapist, what can we expect? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Upcoming visit from Occupational Therapist, what can we expect?

MisterM
MisterM Community member Posts: 1 Listener

What sort of adaptions are they able to provide/encourage? We are ideally looking for a downstairs toilet to be added and a front porch due to my partner passing out when trying to open door (Heart condition and extreme breathlessness as well as intolerance to temperatures).

Could people please tell me what they have applied for and success mate? We dont wish to take liberties etc

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @MisterM I have found this information which may be of use to you - occupational therapy assessments.

I have had 2 OT assessments (with 2 different OT's). They look around your home and can come up with ways to help you/your loved one lead life more independently.

The aids I have received from my OT's (including referrals for home adaptations) are:
    - Standing aids
    - Commode
    - Table on wheels (smaller version of the ones they use in hospitals)
    - Stair-lift
    - Wet Room
    - Portable Ramp
    - They adjusted the back door - removed the base which allows me to drive on a level surface when accessing the garden (in my wheelchair).

Hope this helps. Please let us know if we can help you further :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, I have found OT help to be invaluable. But since I had them, financial cuts have reduced what they can get you.
    But here`s a list of what they got for me

riser/recliner chair...bespoke made..no cost to me
    door widening...no cost to me
    ceiling track hoists.....contribution which I got from MS Society
    toilet raising...no cost to me

They did fasttrack me for a wet room...however the funding didn't appear so I got a bank loan

They will look all round your house and see things which could help, that we don't. They are good guys!
    Pollsx

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MisterM and a warm welcome to the community. :)

Here is some NHS information about an OT assessment, the video at the bottom of the page also might be useful.

Please do let us know how you get on!
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.