My Son Was Refused PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My Son Was Refused PIP

Options
janeie49
janeie49 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello it's been intresting reading all your comments  my son has a stoma had it done when he was 11 having suffered incontinence from birth but we have been told to claim pip we have done on 2 separate occasions but been turned down on both its has been me that's changed the bags as he has been unable to cope with it 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

May i ask if you requested the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) and then Tribunal for any of those decisions? If you didn't was there any reasons why?

To constantly re-apply using the same evidence you previously used will very likely see constant refusals.

Did you send relevant evidence to support the claim? They very rarely contact anyone for this the onus is on you to make sure it's sent to support the claim.

May i ask when the decision was made on the most recent claim? If the decision was made within the past month then you'll need to request the MR in writing, stating where you think he should have scored those points and your reasons why. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time he attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to him.

If the decision was longer than 1 month ago then with good reason you have 13 months to request the MR but you need to put the reason why you didn't request it within the first month.

Having some understanding of the descriptors and what they mean always helps. I'd advise you to have a read of this link, it's long but worth reading.

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @janeie49 - Welcome to the community. I hope you find the great advice by Poppy helpful in giving you guidance that may further your son's PIP claim. It will also be helpful if you might answer her queries. :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.