Will I get ESA if I make a claim? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Will I get ESA if I make a claim?

dilloyd Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi IV just been diagnosed with cervical dystonia which is a neurological disorder, I'm waiting to have Botox therapy, but in the meantime I am in a lot of pain which is exacerbated by working. I am a bank health support worker so don't have sick pay etc etc, iv cut my hours down but am still struggling, am I likely to get ESA if I make a claim?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,186 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    To be entitled to New style ESA you must have paid enough NI Contributions from working in the tax years April 2017 to March 2019. This pays £73.10 per week.

    If you haven't paid enough then to be eligible for Universal Credit will depend on your circumstances, such as savings/capital and living with a partner that works. As it's a means tested benefit living with a partner means you'll need to claim as a couple. Any savings/capital of more than £16.000 and you won't be entitled to UC. Savings of £6.000 and over will reduce your UC by £4.35 per month for every £250 over that amount.

    Hope this helps but it's difficult to advise without more information.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community. I see you have been given some advice already and I hope this helps resolve your query
  • dilloyd
    dilloyd Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi thanks for replying, yes I have paid enough NI contributions, is 73.10 the total amount I would get to live on, I don't have a partner, can't see how I would live off that ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,186 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020
    That's all the ESA you will receive until you're assessed. If you're placed into the support group you'll receive extra money from the 14th week of your claim and it will be £111.65 per week (total) It's only paid for 1 year unless you're placed into the Support Group.

    Council tax reduction needs to be claimed from your local council.

    If you need help with your rent then you'll need to claim Universal Credit for this. If you claim UC and New style ESA together then your New style ESA will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC amount. Savings/capital will apply for UC as advised above.

    If you own your own home and have a mortgage then you will need to speak to your mortgage provider.

    Also look at claiming PIP, it's not means tested. It's not awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. A successful claim could take several months, possibly longer.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.