Work and esa — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work and esa

ignacio_vardez
ignacio_vardez Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, recently I started a new job whilst on esa and came to the decision it was not for me due to mental health reasons , the issue is I didn’t tell tell the job centre and I have completed only one weeks worth of work, obviously I’m going to ring them and tell them so they don’t pay me anything as I will be getting paid from the work at the end of the month, would anybody know what they will do as I want to stay on esa and most likely try for part time work and build up to full time instead of jumping straight into like I did 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

You're allowed to do permitted work while claiming ESA but you must get permission before starting work. You must also work less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £131.50 per week. If you did earn more than this then you won't be entitled to any ESA for the time you worked. If you did earn more than the maximum amount then you will need to ring DWP to tell them.

If you claim housing benefit, then you will also need to ring your local council to tell them about your earnings. Permitted work rules here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form/permitted-work-factsheet

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.