Entitlement to Working Tax Credit with disability element -During Government shut down? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Entitlement to Working Tax Credit with disability element -During Government shut down?

Options
Cloud
Cloud Community member Posts: 25 Connected
Hi,
The government has announced that for those workers in hospitality who have been closed down by the government, will receive up to 80% of their wages.  However, my question is what happens to their disability working tax credit? Is it suspended or stopped?  Or does it carry on?

Because if they are not working the 16 hours required for disability working tax credit (which is the hours needed to qualify) you would be knocked off of the working tax credit.  Many places of work have been shut down for at least 3 months.
A lot of vulnerable rely on this.  
Without being able to work the 16 hours every week that is required, through no fault of their own, but by government shutdown. 

Does anyone know if the tax credit payment will continue? Will it be suspended, or would their claim end.  If it has to end, (apart from being out of pocket), then months down the line when the places of work open again, then would the workers be forced onto universal credit?  As no-one can make a 'new' claim for tax credits anymore.

As losing their entitlement to working tax credits will affect a lot of vulnerable people.

I wondered if anyone would know the answer?

Thank you

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,023 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

There was an announcement made during the speech earlier this evening but the plans have yet to be put into place. Once they are then we will know more. In the meantime i'm unable to find any further details.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cloud
    Cloud Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Options
    Thank you.
    Yes, I did hear in the speech that they were increasing the basic level of working tax credit.
    But as the government is paying 'up to 80% of their wages' during the period they are forced to shut down and not working, I really do hope that they will not then be knocked off of working tax credits, as the rule is they are not 'actually working the  hours required'.
    Maybe further down the line they will put something in place to protect vulnerable people from losing their entitlement to disability working tax credits, before they are automatically get knocked off.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.