Hi, my name is janetnoonomalley! What can I claim — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is janetnoonomalley! What can I claim

janetnoonomalley Member Posts: 1 Listener
i was diagnosed with breastfeeding cancer oin August 2019 I was on sap for 28weeks and it expired. I retuned to work on March 9th 2020 I was at work for 7 days my last day for working was 17th March due to the government advising people with underlying health problems to self isolate. I have no income or wages now could you please advise me what I should do. I was back at work and had to stop because of the Coronavirus 
Janet Noon O Malley


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,608 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    If you are unable to work because of a health condition then you need to look at claiming New style ESA to start with. To claim this you need to have paid NI Contributions in tax years April 2017 to March 2019. It pays £73.10 per week. It's not means tested so living with a partner that works, savings/capital will not affect the amount you can claim. See link https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance

    Universal Credit is means tested, if you live with a partner that works then you'll need to claim as a couple. If you're claiming any tax credits this will stop and transfer to UC. If you're claiming housing benefit to help with any rent then it will continue to be paid for 2 weeks and then transfer to UC. There's a 5 week wait for your first payment but you can ask for an advance payment but do be aware it will need to be paid back from future UC payments.

    If you claim New style ESA and UC then your New style ESA will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC entitlement. https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

    Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and needs to be claimed from your local council.

  • LouiseH
    LouiseH Member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Hi @janetnoonomalley welcome to the site. I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

    Best wishes,
    Louise :smile:
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion
  • Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Posts: 229 Pioneering
    Hi @janetnoonomalley- Welcome you to the community. We are here to help and support you as much as we can. Great advice from @poppy123456. We have pages which are grouped under particular subject headings - you may find this useful


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.