Joint claims and other benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Joint claims and other benefits

KazK74 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone,
I receive higher rate PIP and Contribution based ESA in the Support Group. My husband gets Carers Allowance and was self employed until Covid 19 hit and he's lost all his clients.
He was going to apply for Universal Credit, but we need to make a joint claim. How would that effect my benefits? I'm terrified they will take them away, or we will end up losing money as we're really struggling financially, Any advice welcome.
Thank you 


  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,576 Scope online community team
    Hello @KazK74
    If he applies for Universal Credit, you're correct that it'll be a joint claim. This has no impact at all on your PIP and your contribution-based ESA will continue as normal but will change to New Style ESA. Your support group status will transfer over to Universal Credit so you'll be put into the LCWRA group on UC and won't be asked to look for work. Your ESA will be deducted from the total UC and your partner's Carer's Allowance will also be deducted from UC. 

    Do you need to apply for help with rent at all?
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • KazK74
    KazK74 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello, thank you so much for your reply. Luckily we don't pay rent, and we do get Council tax benefit. Thank you again 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.