If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Confused telephone consultation pip

daisy80daisy80 Member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi there I am hard of hearing and was told a few weeks ago that my home visit would now be paper based or by phone because of the virus etc. I can't use the phone because of my hearing issues and I sent in the relevant proof to pip and the assessment service from hospital. I also suffer with multiple mental health conditions. They said they are only offering tel assessments and no paper based ones are being done. They told me that if I don't have a tel assessment I won't be complying and my claim will be sent back to dwp and be withdrawn. I've already been waiting several months. They said they have no guidance in place for deaf or hard of hearing people and I was told to put the assessor on loud speaker?! And if I can't manage they will see what they can do. Surely that's discrimination and they have to make allowances? She told me all the assessors will be just doing tel assessments and no paper reviews are being done at present. This has changed from 2 weeks ago. Im so stressed out and I've had 2 bereavements in the last 6 week's to. Please help. 


  • pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 1,998 Disability Gamechanger
    This MUST be disability discrimination. How can a deaf person deal with a phonecall?
    I`m sure someone with good advice will be along in a minute or two..Grrrr
  • daisy80daisy80 Member Posts: 12 Listener
    It's so frustrating my psychiatrist said a face to face one would be detrimental to my health and they wouldn't budge and eventually offered me a home visit even though that's still face to face. The first person said no and then the next person could change it so mixed messages. I was fed up of complaining so took it and now all this! I'm at my wits end honestly. They did my uc assessment by paper and it was done and dusted with a decn in 3 weeks. 
  • Abdi_ScopeAbdi_Scope Scope Posts: 234 Pioneering
    Hi @daisy80 -  I can totally understand why you are feeling so stressed at this time, as a BSL user myself I feel your frustration. I am sorry you are having to face this at the moment.
    You could contact Action on Hearing Loss -  who may be able to offer guidance and also @Joanne_Scope . Also I think you might find it useful to read my long-post - https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/70250/a-deaf-perspective-during-the-pandemic#latest
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 3,735 Disability Gamechanger
    Might be an idea to email your MP and see if he/she can help?
    this should help you find them
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,966 Disability Gamechanger
    Issue a request for a paper assessment as a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act 2010. If that is then rejected then issue a letter before action. 

    The onus is on the assessment provider to make reasonable adjustments not the claimant and it’s an anticipatory duty i.e. they should be able to take a punt with all the info they have that a phone call will not be appropriate. Pursued to legal action they’d be liable for up to £5k but generally when faced with the reality of the law they’ll give you a paper assessment. 

    An assessment provider is not accommodating you by expecting you to figure out a way to make it work. That’s not how the law works. 
Sign in or join us to comment.