Tax rebate and Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Tax rebate and Universal Credit

sus19 Member Posts: 5 Listener
edited May 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
My partner and I have just this month applied for UC from 8th April 2020. He is self employed and out of work temporary due to coronavirus. He is due a self assessment tax rebate next week  for last tax year and our first payment of UC is due  in May. Is the tax rebate classed as an income and needs to be put on the UC journal and to be knocked off Mays payment or is it classed as something else. 


  • Ails
    Ails Member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sus19 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I'm sorry, but I'm unable to answer your question, but I'm sure other members or one of our Scope Team maybe able to help you further.  Meantime, please see Scope's information about Universal Credit which may help -

    I hope you are able to access more information/advice anyway and please let us know how you get on.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Denise11
    Denise11 Member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    Hi Sus19  

    I worked  at the HMRC and that rebate is for last year only because you paid too much,  It was based on payments from 06 April 2019 to the 05 April 2020 and the new financial year started on 06 April so it won't be classed income in this year even if you haven't had it yet.
  • sus19
    sus19 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    That's good to know Denise. Thank you for your help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.