Esa — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


I am knee to this having been diagnosed with Rhuematoid Arthritis. I work in a garden centre planting but my hands are so painful and fingers keep locking I need to reduce my hours due to pain. I am on methotraxte and making me nausea. Can I claim any help with a benefit which allows me to keep working but financially help with lower income as my prescriptions are 30.00 s month 3 x items. Thanyou


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2020
    Hello @britney   Pleased to meet you.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.

    We lots of information on our website about benefits please have 

    Explains what you need to know criteria .

    One organisation for your Arthritis is this one.

    Helpline 020 3781 7120

    Please if you have any questions please get in touch.

    Happy to be supportive.

    Please take care and keep safe.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 12,265 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @britney - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. I'm sorry to read that you're having difficulties at work due to your RA. I wonder if you have considered discussing this with your employer to see if you could continue working for them in a different capacity. Scope has some advice about 'Reasonable adjustments.'
    If you do need to reduce your hours after all, try putting your details into this benefits checker, to see what might be available. See:
    I'm unsure if you have a Prepayment Certificate for your prescriptions, which can reduce the cost.
    You might also consult your Dr if the side-effects of methotrextrate continue to be problematic for any advice.
    I hope this is helpful, together with my friend thespiceman's advice above. Please let us know how you get on, & if we can help, or support you in any other way. :)

  • LouiseH
    LouiseH Member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Hi @britney welcome to the site and I hope you get the answers you need.
    Best wishes 
    Louise :smile:
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion
  • Ails
    Ails Member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @britney and welcome to the Community from me also.  It's nice to meet you.  I'm sorry to hear about your health struggles and hope you get things sorted out to enable you to continue in your job.  I hope also that you have found the information/links above to be helpful.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  If you require any further help/support then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • britney
    britney Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you I will check them out tomorrow. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.