TV shows/Boxset recommendations without violence or swearing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

TV shows/Boxset recommendations without violence or swearing

Options
M_Anthony
M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
Hello. I know there are a lot of shows with varying degrees of sex and violence, so I thought I would make a thread to list some of my recommended box sets that are more suitable to watch for general/family viewing.

Please feel free to add any you have watched or are watching now!

Due South

A cop drama/comedy about a Mountie that is assigned to the Chicago police department.

Star Trek The Next Generation

While you can watch it from the first series, I would recommend watching it from the third series where the show made big improvements to stories and character development. it is one of the best TV shows ever made.

Lovejoy

A British TV drama/comedy show about a man that sells antiques and sometimes finds himself dealing with shady people and deals.

Third Rock from the Sun

This is an american comedy show about aliens that come to earth and have to blend in. 

Quantum Leap

A time travelling Sci-fi show where a man leaps into other people's bodies sent by an unknown force to change those people's lives for the better.

Shaun the Sheep

Great stop motion animation from the makers of Wallace and Gromit.

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I love Peter Rabbit! 
    This week we re watched Aladdin for the fourth or fifth time. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Dad's Army
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• M_Anthony
    Options
    The Thin Blue Line, a British police comedy  with Rowan Atkinson from the Black Adder series/Mr Bean.

The Detectives, another British police comedy with the stand up comedian Jasper Carrott.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,577 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I like Keeping Up Appearances with Mrs. Bucket and her poor husband Richard!! It is about as innocent and inoffensive as you can get but really really good fun in my opinion. 
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Options
    "Mrs Bouquet" please 66 Mustang ....hahahaha ...I liked that programme as well ...poor Richard right enough.
    I also likes " one foot in the grave " ...not the greatest named programme though ???
  • M_Anthony
    Options
    I remember one foot in the grave, good one.

I would say 'Allo 'Allo was good as well.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Gid Moaning! :D I'm not sure if war sitcoms can be considered free from violence though? 

The Good Life & To The Manor Born are both 'innocent' retro sitcoms...plus loads of modern ones as well, My Family, Outnumbered, etc.  I also like Porridge but that's probably a bit dry for kids!  

Are You Being Served is another good one because the double entendre gives it 2 levels...
  • M_Anthony
    Options
    Hi @OverlyAnxious thanks for the suggestions, I remember those sitcoms. I have seen some of Porridge and the film they made of it, did you like The Two Ronnies?
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yeah, the Two Ronnies were great!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi De Hi......Ho De Ho  <3
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,577 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Does Fawlty Towers count or does Basil’s “violence” against Manuel exclude it? :D
  • M_Anthony
    Options
    Not at all, comedy violence is all good. I used to watch Fawlty Towers with my dad. I also liked the Monty Python TV series.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have also enjoyed many of the series mentioned. My son & his wife honeymooned in Lovejoys, where the series was filmed. Another recommendation; one of my favourites, is 'Waiting for God' with Stephanie Cole, about a retirement home where she usually livens things up!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.