Don't Quit- A time of reflection — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Don't Quit- A time of reflection

WestHam06
WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
Hi Everyone, 
                     I hope that you are all keeping well in these difficult times. I hope it is ok for me to share this post with you and please may I thank you for taking the time to read this. 
When I face difficult challenges I turn to the words of John Greenleaf Whittier's poem 'Don't Quit'. It is a well known poem but I have found that it has brought me comfort during difficult times ever since I was introduced to it when I was a child. It inspires me and reminds me that life is very precious. 
As we are in lockdown, there have been many opportunities to reflect and to think what different aspects of my life mean to me and what my dreams are. It has led me to begin to think about how I can achieve these dreams and realise that sometimes in life you have to be patient, you have to wait for the right time. I have reflected upon all the things I have to be grateful for and I am extremely fortunate that I have many. Sometimes, I loose sight of these, which I think is natural, but important to always remember them as they are often the greatest gifts in life. 
It has also allowed me the time to reflect just how amazing the NHS are.  They have been treating me for my Cerebral Palsy since birth and also treat a family member for their condition. Now, I'm sure we have all had experiences with a Doctor or health care professional that perhaps has been a little difficult, but when you see what they are doing on a daily basis to look after those who need it the most at this exceptionally difficult time, we are reminded of just how committed these people are to their jobs, to caring for people and I am in awe of just how humble they are about it. I hope that they receive all the support that they need. I, of course, am not only talking about the health professionals on the frontline at hospitals, but the cleaners, the porters, the carers in care homes, carers in the community and every single key worker from delivery drivers to teachers. They truly represent the very best of Britain.  Thank you. There are calls for the NHS to be given the George Cross medal and I completely agree. 
My heart goes out to every single person who has lost a loved one during this terribly difficult time, my thoughts and prayers are with them all.
 When this over, I hope everyone is a little kinder. We will get through this, for those who are feeling alone, please don't, you are not on your own. It is hard and it may get harder but we will come through this. I know of a quote that says 'Remember, you are braver than you believe, stronger than you feel and smarter than you think'. 
As John Greenleaf Whittier's poem says '... It's when things seem worst that you must not quit'. 
Thank you.  

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @WestHam06   Thank you for sharing.  A number of very good points raised.

Hate this situation we are in but we have to fight be strong have courage.

As a Christian my thoughts and feelings towards any one experiencing problems issues losing loved ones.

Always here to support any member and ask me anything I can help with.

We do need to be kind and support offer empathy.

Be appreciative to those key staff whether support workers health workers. NHS staff all of them we need to be thanking offering the respect and cherish their assistance in helping, caring offering concern.

I spent a lot of time in hospital in my life.  Always think the role they do is outstanding.

Understand also we need to be more thankful of those who do a job and a role helping our community.

I have seen on media the stars and many ordinary people from all walks of life doing amazing stuff.

Inspirational all of it long may it continue.

Please we all in this together and we need friendship love hope prayers and we do not know what the future holds so we need to be confident.

I hope every one who is on this forum does know any issues or problems please talk to me or any of the Community Champions we have a signature bottom of our posts each and every one.

Who we are or talk to the team SCOPE.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for sharing this @WestHam06. I have to admit I wasn't familiar with the poem you mentioned so looked it up and it definitely speaks to you doesn't it? I shared it with my children too and we all take away different things from it.

Don't Quit
    By John Greenleaf Whittier

When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
    When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
    When the funds are low and the debts are high
    And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
     When care is pressing you down a bit,
    Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is strange with its twists and turns
    As every one of us sometimes learns
    And many a failure comes about
    When he might have won had he stuck it out;
    Don't give up though the pace seems slow—
    You may succeed with another blow.
    Success is failure turned inside out—
    The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
    And you never can tell just how close you are,
    It may be near when it seems so far;
    So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit—
    It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • WestHam06
    Hi @Adrian_Scope,
                                    Thank you for sharing the poem, I am pleased that you were able to share it with your children and were all able to take different things away from it. I personally, do feel that it does speak to people, I find it offers me comfort in times of difficulty and helps me to put things into perspective.  I don't read it all that often but go to it when I feel I need too. In the current situation, in my opinion, I think there is a real poignancy to the words.  My thoughts continue to be with all those who have lost a loved one and the amazing key workers who are keeping the country going. Thank you.  
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I love that poem @WestHam06! I too have been praying every Thursday night. I like to pray for the teachers across all areas of Britain. I feel that they are also equally deserving of a medal at least when this is all over.
    If you do not mind, I wish to print out your poem is that okay? I think that it is quite a good one. I have not seen it before however I know that this is the kind of poem which we can all learn from no matter how old we are. The poem deeply resonates with me too. As a big picture thinker, this poem is officially now one of my favorite ones. I'm going to share it with my partner as well. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you so much for sharing this @WestHam06! That also is one of my favourite poems and one that I have read many times.

I think it's always good to have the time to reflect. Life happens so quickly and it is so easy to be caught up in the madness!

Wishing you well and take care. :) 
    Scope

• WestHam06
    Hi @April2018mom
                                    I'm pleased to hear that you found that you were able to take something from the poem. Please do print it out, but I cannot call it my poem, it is the great words of John Greenleaf Whittier.  I too agree, there are many amazing key workers going above and beyond including teachers and when this is over I hope that each individual as well as occupation receives the acknowledgment and praise that they deserve.  They have kept this country going, quietly and dignified, they are true heroes and no words will ever express just how much I appreciate all that they have done. Thank you. 
  • WestHam06
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
                                   I'm pleased to hear that the poem has another fan :) It truly is a beautiful poem. Wishing you all the best, take care. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    It really is, thank you @WestHam06
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.