PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Notice of pip tel assessment

daisy80daisy80 Member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi I wondered what notification people got for their tel pip assessment? I received a text 10mins ago saying it's tomorrow! I suffer with mental health and hearing issues so will my husband be able to help me on the phone? It's quite short notice but I've waited so long I don't want to rearrange. My anxiety is through the roof. What will they ask? I thought I would of got a letter. Thanks 

Replies

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,941 Disability Gamechanger
    They are legally required to give 7 days notice in writing.

It’s the The Social Security (Personal Independence Payment) Regulations 2013, Reg 9:

2) Subject to paragraph (3), where C fails without good reason to attend for or participate in a consultation referred to in paragraph (1), a negative determination must be made.

(3) Paragraph (2) does not apply unless —

(a)written notice of the date, time and, where applicable, place for, the consultation is sent to C at least 7 days in advance; or
    (b)C agrees, whether in writing or otherwise, to accept a shorter period of notice of those matters.
    (4) In paragraph (3), reference to written notice includes notice sent by electronic communication where C has agreed to accept correspondence in that way and ‘electronic communication’ has the meaning given in section 15(1) of the Electronic Communications Act 2000(1).

CPAG 19-20 at p.761 says that the rule does not apply if you accept notice by phone.

Seriously? Every client I’ve had in the past 2 weeks who tried that has been told to take the phone off speaker phone and ask the other person to cease speaking.

You cannot just put the phone on speaker phone at all. You need to contact the assessment provider in advance and notify that you want this to happen else the outcome is distressingly predictable. 
    edited May 2020
    So your previous shtick on here was that you were an ex HCP. All of a sudden you’re current again! Do Scope know this? Are posters aware of this? Given that you’re now doing the job again do you not see a conflict of interest given that you could be doing assessments for people posting on this site.
  • chiariedschiarieds Member Posts: 7,940 Disability Gamechanger
     - @ilovecats has always been upfront mentioning that they had worked previously as an HCP. Just because they have resumed such work doesn't mean they are 'against' DWP applicants.... in fact they were just giving the OP the benefit of their knowledge, as do you. Personally, I can't see a problem; you have both given your perspectives, that's all.
    edited May 2020
    I don’t recall saying anything about policies or guidelines. Straightforward conflict of interest. 

1 - No-one on here can know whether you’re their HCP or not and it only takes 1 poster to be able to identify you and you’ve a problem as much as them and the DWP.

2 - Add in that DWP will immediately understand that anything you post as regards what you look for or score, as you have many times, could be a problem for them. Justice is about justice being seen to be done. 

3 - there are numerous people on here with poor mental health. Their reaction to knowing there’s an active HCP on here is likely to be the same as if there was an active DWP decision maker. It potentially poses a risk where posters may feel you were their HCP; spoke to their HCP or could do so. 

4 - the acid test on these things is the newspaper test. How would it look; what would the story be and how could it be defended if the story appeared in a newspaper? Is it not entirely foreseeable that it would only take one poster on here to contact someone like DNS and accuse you of being a snooper on here? 

I’m sure all posters only post to help if they can. That’s nothing to the point. 
    chiarieds said:
     - @ilovecats has always been upfront mentioning that they had worked previously as an HCP. Just because they have resumed such work doesn't mean they are 'against' DWP applicants.... in fact they were just giving the OP the benefit of their knowledge, as do you. Personally, I can't see a problem; you have both given your perspectives, that's all.
    I didn’t say they were “against” anyone and nor have I ever. The issue here, as I suspect they well know, is one of perception. It’s not what I think. It’s what others will think; say and possibly do. 

I have challenged their view of the law when I can demonstrate it to be incorrect with refs to case law, law and even their own guidance but equally you’ll find many posts where I also explain why what a HCP did was not unreasonable. @ilovecats has always taken the view that such posts are personal or some kind of competitive thing. They’re nothing of the sort. Comments like “ I shall shuffle off back to the fiery pits of hell where assessors are spawned.” are just a bit silly. I’ve no issue with individuals. Just training and processes. 
  • chiariedschiarieds Member Posts: 7,940 Disability Gamechanger
     - I hope you stay @ilovecats ; everyone's perspective matters, & the forum needs that balance. There's too much we read over & over here that HCPs lie, etc., which clearly is untrue.
    I've also had issues, as a physio, that people have said they had an HCP who was a physio, & were abusive to my profession. Someone's got to be an HCP, & you being on the forum just shows that you care, & are trying to be helpful, both with your job, & here.
    edited May 2020
    I agree with you @chiarieds. Again, you’ll see numerous posts from me explaining that accusing a HCP of being a liar is not a winning strategy. It doesn’t actually matter whether it’s true or not. It’s not something which can be legally proven and, even if it were, the more important issue is the strength of other evidence to show entitlement.

Your point on physios as HCPs is interesting. Paramedics come in for equal flak despite often having a remarkable spectrum of practical knowledge around functional ability. 

For the record I’ve never seen reason to doubt the intent behind @ilovecats posts. Again though. that misses the point. It could all too obviously be an issue for their employer; DWP and posters here. 
  • TardisTardis Member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    @mikehughescq - are you saying there is no way an assessment call can be done on speakerphone?  My adult child is waiting for an assessment date at the moment and there's a fair chance it'll be a phone assessment.  There is no way she can hold a phone for any length of time and always uses speaker phone for longer calls. Why will they not allow this?
    Gosh no. Not at all. However, it’s wise to ensure the assessment provider knows you’re going to do this as per my previous post. 

mikehughescq said:
    Seriously? Every client I’ve had in the past 2 weeks who tried that has been told to take the phone off speaker phone and ask the other person to cease speaking.

You cannot just put the phone on speaker phone at all. You need to contact the assessment provider in advance and notify that you want this to happen else the outcome is distressingly predictable. 
    Had multiple conversations with ppl at the assessment stage in recent weeks. In a few the HCP was okay about it but in most they queried why or actively challenged it. As it’s their judgement call it would always be wise to alert in advance. That’s all. 
  • TardisTardis Member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Thank you.  I'm hoping she has a paper assessment this time around, but if it is to be a phone call then I will make sure they are made aware in advance.
Sign in or join us to comment.