Diary / 2020-05 - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Diary / 2020-05

Options
2»

Comments

• NotReally
    NotReally Community member Posts: 59 Pioneering
    Options
    2020-06-08 / Monday

So ... yeah.

I'm still alive, although it was looking a bit dicey September - November, thanks to local social services.

Social care support finally started happening in December, after two stays in hospital in September and November; an emergency care package was approved due to a combination of the help of one of the amazing people who'd been voluntarily supporting me last year, and the second hospital stay, which was due to malnutrition ... I was down to less than 10 stone (I'm 6'2") at the end of October just before I was admitted.

Unsurprisingly, much of the second half of last year was pretty harrowing.  

Things are a lot better now, although I am still dealing with the fallout of that period, the worst of which is trying to get visitation with my son re-established; his mother is ... well, being herself.  Children's social services have no issues with him staying with me, but she is using their report as an excuse for him not to.  Unfortunately I don't have the funds available to engage a solicitor, so ... this is proving to be a difficult thing to have to deal with.  

On the upside, I had my first vaccination shot on Friday; this was amazingly easy to arrange - when I phoned the surgery to try and arrange it, I was really expecting it to be a challenge; but after explaining my conditions, they passed a message to the team managing the vaccinations, who called me back a couple of days later and offered me an appointment to have the first shot.  

More later.  Hope everyone is as well as they can be.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,628 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @NotReally nice to see you back with us, sounds like you've been through the wringer but managed to come out the other side to tell the tale, and jab done (pardon the pun) mines this Friday. Also good to read that you are getting some support.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• NotReally
    NotReally Community member Posts: 59 Pioneering
    Options
    woodbine said:
    @NotReally nice to see you back with us, sounds like you've been through the wringer but managed to come out the other side to tell the tale, and jab done (pardon the pun) mines this Friday. Also good to read that you are getting some support.

Thank you Woodbine, it's appreciated.  :smile:  I hope your vaccination goes well; I have to say that the set up is great, a well oiled machine. 

The support is ... nothing short of life changing.  Things have been so much better, and I am beginning to feel as though I may be able to start actually living life and make progress now - it feels like I have a future worth looking forward to. 

On top of that, the care company have asked me to do training for them (once we're allowed to do those things again), and that they have a network of care providers who'd also be interested in having me in for training.  This is just massive for me; if it comes together then it's going to be a huge breakthrough.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.