pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip

Options
antc
antc Community member Posts: 41 Connected
edited June 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi... ive been going through the process of pip for my hearing loss.  i emailed capita who was doing the over phone assessment that i couldn't take the call has cannot hear on phones was told they would find an alternative and contact me in future about how they can assess me. a few days later i had a voicemail which i asked a friend to listen to and they said it was DWP for pip and to ring back which my Friend did.. the girl started asking my friend questions like could i was.. prepare food and my friend was repeating to me what they said.. my friend said I'm applying for pip for my earing loss and that was it they said bye and hung up.. so asked like 3 questions and nothing about my disability.. i have now had the Letter about the outcome saying ive ive  declined.. its an outrage has how can they asses me over the phone when someone was acting for me and never asked about why i am claiming pip.. so im guessing i can make a mandatory reconsideration and would that be over the phone with someone speaking for me or by letter.. if by letter do i need the mandatory reconsideration form or write on plain paper..any advice is appreciated thanks

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi yes your next step is MR within one month of being turned down, that involves another DM looking at your claim sometimes it changes things but be prepared to go to appeal if not. Remember that PIP isn't about your condition but about the care and/or mobility issues arising from them. If you look at the report concentrate where you didn't score points and feel you should have and try and give examples of where you tried to do something and what happened.
    Good luck; if you need any more help just ask.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• antc
    antc Community member Posts: 41 Connected
    Options
    its communication and engaging with people.. I scored 2 points... how they can come to that conclusion over the phone when i cannot take the call and someone did for me. its beyond me .. for someone who wears two earing aids and struggles with communication and engaging with others... they never even asked about that in the assessment.. thanks anyway
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @antc - Whilst a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) is usually the way forward, your lack of an assessment was abysmal. An acceptable alternative for you to fully participate in an assessment wasn't found, & your friend helping you only to be questioned on 3 aspects of daily living only is not acceptable.
    I would consider first asking your friend to contact the DWP (contact number should be in your decision letter) on your behalf to explain, & say you want an assessment that you can fully engage in. If this isn't helpful, say that you want a statement of their reasons in writing to explain how their decision was made.
    You can still do a MR, but asking for their statement of reasons also buys you a little more time in which to do so. A MR is best done in writing, but I would try contacting the DWP first as you didn't have a proper assessment.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.