Undiagnosed and rare conditions
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can anyone help

MattCarsonMattCarson Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi All,

My name is Matt from Altrincham Cheshire. Im 31 I have right side Hemiplegia from birth. 

Does anyone have similar symtoms when walking in open places or shopping centres when they feel unbalanced and have to either sit down or feel the need to walk next to a wall. 

My right arm goes quite tight and makes me feel very uncomfortable. Does this happen to anyone else or is there an explanation for this?

Looking forward to hearing back from anyone.




  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,159 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MattCarson Welcome to the community, UIm sorry I cant answer your question but I am sure other members may be able to help. Have you considered using a walking stick or crutch for extra support when walking ? I hope you get your question answered  
  • April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member
    Hello @MattCarson!
    Have you considered getting a wheelchair or not? You can get one privately or from nhs wheelchair services. When my son turned one year old in November of 2017, he got his first ever wheelchair. It was a poignant life changing day for our family. I looked at his new wheelchair, and his previously limited world opened up. I hope that someone can help you get some kind of mobility aid. I recommend starting with the Disability Living Foundation site https://www.dlf.org.uk/
    My first two pieces of advice to you are to test out some wheelchairs at a mobility aid shop as well and also make some brief notes on what you like and hate. Start by taking a quick look at their website first, then either email them or call up to speak with a advisor for some more information. Also find out about the national Motability Scheme too this is their website. Hopefully they can answer all of your questions properly. I hope that this is useful to you. 
    Good luck. If you can, take some photos of each chair. 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MattCarson and welcome to the community! I too have cerebral palsy, with it mainly being my left side that is affected. I too experience what you have described. 

    Your arm could become tight due to spasticity. Have you spoken to your GP about it being uncomfortable?
    Community Partner

    Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • Han_Han_ Member Posts: 154 Pioneering
    Hi @MattCarson and welcome to the community. I agree that mobility aids may be able to help you. As Chloe asked, have you spoken to your GP about this? Perhaps they can refer you to someone who may be able to help determine what type of mobility aid is suitable for you. 

  • 11190821119082 Posts: 258 Member
    hi matt Masuma here your talking buddy did you needed an advice 
Sign in or join us to comment.