Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Possibly ESA new claim

Shanty321Shanty321 Member Posts: 20 Listener
Hi I’m currently on ssp from work I’m in receipt of pip and husband gets Carers for our son. I have worked for many years slowly reducing working hours over the past 7 years due to illnesses/stress. I want to leave my employment as I feel I can no longer carry on as it is a stressful demanding job. I’ve done every benefit calculation going and I cannot understand or get my head round it I have so many questions that I need help on re esa uc hb if there is anyone who can help me I would be very grateful thanking you in advance.


  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 3,714 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shanty321 how are you this afternoon? perhaps if you asked specific questions we could be of more help.Have you tried "turn2us" or "entitled2" benefit checkers? you could also contact CAB and see if they in a position to offer advice at this time.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • Shanty321Shanty321 Member Posts: 20 Listener
    Hi woodbine thank you for your reply I have done a calculation and it says will get £191 a week UC £24 CT £67 CA and my pip I rent from a local council would I have to pay all my rent out of this per week? Reason I’m asking is at the moment we get elements for being in receipt of certain benefits and wondering if these elements would continue on UC thank you.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,924

    Scope community team

    Hello @Shanty321. Universal Credit usually includes a housing element with which you'd be expected to pay your rent. Without knowing you entire situation it would be difficult to advise whether the calculation you've done is correct. It might be worth you speaking to someone at Advicelocal and seeing if there's anyone who would be willing to do you a full benefits check-up or a better off calculation.

    As you're already in receipt of housing benefit is there a reason you're particularly looking to move to UC? The other option for you to explore would be New Style ESA, but eligibility would depend on your previous work history and National Insurance contributions. 
    Senior Community Partner

    Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
  • Shanty321Shanty321 Member Posts: 20 Listener
    Hi thank you so much I have found out my entitlement. No doubt I will have more questions to come at the moment I enjoy reading other people’s questions which I find can be helpful, once again thank you 🥰
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,104 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, its great to have you on board.

    There is a lot of support from members on here and information relating to benefits, I hope you find what you are looking for .

    I know you can apply for benefits 3 months prior to your SSP ending however payment will not start until your SSP has ended but it may be worth getting the applicatin started
Sign in or join us to comment.