Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Universal credit and home loss payment

majovemajove Member Posts: 1 Listener
I have to leave my flat this year as its structurally damaged,I'm receiving a £6,000 compensation payment,will universal credit count this as income for saving purposes


  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,944 Scope community team
    Hello @majove. If this is counted as savings/capital the amount will be added on to any savings or capital you already have. For every £250 you are over £6000, your UC will reduce by £4.35 a month. So for example if you have £6500 your UC will be reduced by £8.70 a month. 

    It would be worth getting some expert advice as rules around capital are quite complex and you need to be certain you report it correctly. You may be able to get some advice via our helpline: 0808 800 3333
    Or look for advice local to you at: https://advicelocal.uk/
    Senior Community Partner

    If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
Sign in or join us to comment.