Disabled Facilities Grant — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Disabled Facilities Grant

Hello, I'm in the process of applying for a grant for my son, who is 7 and a paraplegic.  We have a downstairs bedroom and bathroom but they are both too small for a wheelchair user, particularly as he gets older, and we've had the OT and the council agent in who measured the rooms.  Though they have confirmed the bedroom is too small by their standards they are pushing for us to use it anyway and are doing a lot of teeth sucking regarding the council not having lots of funds at this time.  I'd really like to know my rights so that we can push for an appropriate room, as I think they are just trying to save themselves money in the short term.  Has anyone had a similar experience or know the rights of a disabled individual to an appropriately sized downstairs bedroom?


  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,103

    Scope community team

    Hi @katharinecollins
    A very warm welcome to the community.
    The OT should be independent in assessing the needs of your son and shouldn't recommend that a room that is too small for a wheelchair user to use safely is okay.
    We have some information on Disabled Facilities Grants and other options that may be helpful for you.

    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @katharinecollins! I hope Richard has been able to help. Please let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)

  • katharinecollins
    katharinecollins Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you so much Richard_Scope and Chloe_Scope!  This is very helpful.
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Member Posts: 243 Pioneering
    edited May 2020
    Hi @katharinecollins

    A very warm welcome.

    You need to get an application for a DFG underway, with your local authority.

    Do not listen to the “money is tight”, nonsense from anyone.

    Ask the OT for a copy of their Assessment Report.

    You should also check with your local building control section at your local authority.

    There are set room dimensions that have to be adhered, for wheelchair users.

    Especially to enable for your child, to have his future proofed.

    Get your MP involved, copy him/her in with all correspondence, from the start.

    Keep in touch.

    Stay kind and be safe.

    Best wishes

  • katharinecollins
    katharinecollins Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you everyone!  This has been extremely helpful, and steeled my resolve to make sure my son gets what he needs.  I also got in touch with Aspire, a spinal injury charity, and they were able to confirm that the OT should be impartial and the council's money issues have no bearing on providing for my son's needs.  Thanks again and have a lovely weekend! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem @katharinecollins, how are things going? :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.